Water in the access bay doors.

ChopperBill

I kept getting water out of the storage and propane doors when I lifted or opened them. This has been going on for a few weeks. I took my drill and put several drain holes all along the bottom of the doors. All of them started to drain water! I noticed that the bottom edge of the molding was not sealed very well. So after the drill job I put a bead of silicone along the bottom edge of the molding. Might check yours as I found mine were heavier to lift and brown water started of come out so I knew something was up. Hopefully they wont rot inside as I just dont need to do another repair job. Just ready for some serious CAMPING!

HappyKayakers

Bill,
I saw the same problem on one of my doors, the brown runoff. I sealed the molding at the corners - no problems since then.

Uncle Rog

The moulding on my doors is installed upside down, with end joint on top. A little silicone is all it took to remedy. I did lose one door to delamination which HL warrantied out......

snuffy

While looking at some new Big Horns, we noticed some of the doors to be very heavy and wondered if water might be in them. Doors are usually pretty light. These didn't seem to have any water run out when we lifted them. Are the doors unusually heavy?

ChopperBill

Yep quite a bit heavier when water is in 'em. Sure was lots of water run out when I drilled them. I am sure the Styrofoam or what ever is in there is soaked. Will see if they get lighter as the days go bye.

cdbMidland

Past Michigan Chapter Leader
ChopperBill said:
Yep quite a bit heavier when water is in 'em. Sure was lots of water run out when I drilled them. I am sure the Styrofoam or what ever is in there is soaked. Will see if they get lighter as the days go bye.

I don't think the laminate is Styrofoam (R) from what I saw at the plant tour. HL is using a bead board in its laminate. Neither is water absorbent. Styrofoam is used for flotation for docks. Beadboard is the same material as the expanded polystyrene used to make drink cups. Fill one with water and let it sit overnight and then dump the contents. This cup will weigh the same empty as another empty cup.

If there is extra weight in a storage door because of water, it would have to be within spaces where the foam is not filling the complete length.

Styrofoam is a registered trademark of The Dow Chemical Company.

Pulltab

Interesting, I have a door that is REALLY heavy and always has been yet the others are not. Guess I better drill a hole tomorrow! GEE thanks Bill that's all I needed! :) Ever try sitting on the couch and watching tv?

sailorand

Past British Columbia Chapter Leader
drilled holes in mine months ago. One problem is that the frame is tilted inward so water will lay in it and soak up into the door. thying to think about how to keep the water out of the frame.

ChopperBill

Pulltab said:
Interesting, I have a door that is REALLY heavy and always has been yet the others are not. Guess I better drill a hole tomorrow! GEE thanks Bill that's all I needed! :) Ever try sitting on the couch and watching tv?
Watch TV? Yep I saw the Broncos pull another one out of their fanny today!:D
If you all look at the sticker on the the inside of the doors they are made by Dexter, who ever that is. I think Heartland just bolts 'em on.

vangoes

My cargo door on the ODS has serious delamination from water getting in. I have caulked the trim piece around the edge but I guess it was too late. I dont understand why these aren't caulked during production.
Has anyone had to replace their door......is it difficult or expensive?. Naturally I am out of warranty but I'm getting tired of people in campgrounds saying "Oh my God, what happened to your door!"

LBallard

Water in front door.

I noticed this past weekend when the front door was opened water drained out the bottom left corner. The force of opening the door seemed to let the water drain out. I caulked around the window, door handle, and bottom trim. Hopefully this fixed the problem. It is supposed to rain the next couple days and will check this weekend.

imchud

After reading this post I checked my 09 3385 cargo doors, what I found was that all my doors had pre drilled holes that came from the factory... I still need to run a bead of silicone around the doors just to be on the safe side...

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Hey Tab...our doors are made by Elixir...they ain't heavy either. Guess we can sit here and watch you drill holes, while drinking a "whine" coolers!!! LOL

ChopperBill

After reading this post I checked my 09 3385 cargo doors, what I found was that all my doors had pre drilled holes that came from the factory... I still need to run a bead of silicone around the doors just to be on the safe side...
Glad to hear the factory is listening!

vangoes

retired4fun
Mine also had the predrilled drain holes in it but apparently the door laminate still will soak up the water and cause damage from delamination. My entire door has delaminated.

LBallard

To update the front door dripping water; After a 6 week road trip to FL, SC, and GA., the drip continues to persist. This happens after a moderate rain shower or washing.
I have caulked around the door seams, glass, etc. I can not imagine where the water is coming from. I can only assume it is a door hinge or possibly the door latch.
When I get back to camp, I'll do more troubleshooting.