Looking at new NT Caliber in WA state

Jane

We are attending the Spokane RV show in a few weeks. One of the trailers we want to look at closely is the NT Caliber Ultralite. We are newly retired and are hoping for many getaways this spring and summer. I would like to hear comments from owners of the Caliber, and dealer recommendations. We are interested in one of the shorter lengths, 22 or 23 feet.

berky

I can't quite speak to a NT Caliber Edition in that length range, as we have the 26LRSS. We've been extremely pleased with the 26LRSS after one year and 5000 miles. There are a number of other 26LRSS owners here that would also speak well of the Cailiber Edition.

When we went RV shopping, our first "real" RV after a number of popups, we learned a few things along the way:
- A slideout can make a big difference in the "roominess". We were looking at a NT 24' without a slideout, but decided that we would be cramped on those rainy days with our hyperactive yellow lab. OTOH, if it's just the two of you that may not be an issue.
- Ample storage is valuable for those getaways. We keep a full week's worth of clothes ans non-perishable food in the trailer at all times, so we can just "hook up and go".
- Tongue weight will be much higher than you expect, which may be important depending on your tow vehicle. You should figure on 200#-300# more than the dry tongue weight listed in the "glossy brochure".

Happy hunting. There are plenty of helpful NT owners here who will be happy to answer any questions.

mbopp

We just "signed on the dotted line" for a 2013 21FBS Caliber and traded in our hybrid.

Actually, I was surprised DW went for it w/o a couch, but she liked the storage, bath and kitchen layout.
And since we camp in State campgrounds that can be tight, I like the shorter length (26-1/2')

NB - Heartland recently started making this model with a deep slide and 3 steps, it seems so much roomier than the shallow slide unit we first looked at.

After 6 years in the hybrid we had a list of "must have," "nice to have," and "don't care" features. We looked at Jayco, Forest River, Coachmen, Dutchmen, Trail Runner, Evergreen, and a few more manufacturers but came back to the 21FBS.

You didn't say what you're towing with, but it's into the 1/2 ton pickup or Tahoe / Yukon / Durango SUV range. A TV with 5,000# tow capacity won't cut it.

Manzan

We bought our NT 21 FBS from Apache trailer sales in South Everett. It came with all the extras that are standard on the Caliber, it was a display model at the Seattle RV show, but with the shallow slide. The people at Apache have taken very good care of us and filed a couple of problems. Very comfortable for the the two of us. Our Daughter and her family sometimes camp with us but they bring their tent. Eat most meals together, outside if the weather cooperates but we make do inside if it does not. We are in West Seattle so know rain and love to camp at Cape Lookout State Park in Oregon. Were there four weeks ago and one day had 4½" of rain.

Jane

We just "signed on the dotted line" for a 2013 21FBS Caliber and traded in our hybrid.

Actually, I was surprised DW went for it w/o a couch, but she liked the storage, bath and kitchen layout.
And since we camp in State campgrounds that can be tight, I like the shorter length (26-1/2')

NB - Heartland recently started making this model with a deep slide and 3 steps, it seems so much roomier than the shallow slide unit we first looked at.

After 6 years in the hybrid we had a list of "must have," "nice to have," and "don't care" features. We looked at Jayco, Forest River, Coachmen, Dutchmen, Trail Runner, Evergreen, and a few more manufacturers but came back to the 21FBS.

You didn't say what you're towing with, but it's into the 1/2 ton pickup or Tahoe / Yukon / Durango SUV range. A TV with 5,000# tow capacity won't cut it.

We are also moving up from a Hybrid. We hope to get it sold as soon as the snow leaves the ground. Before the Hybrid we had a pop-up....prior to that a tent. It seems a lot of people have the same story.

We have to double check the weights. We have a Ford F150 4.6 supercab with a 3.73 rear axle 4X4. Tow capacity 6600. What are you towing with? Jane

mbopp

Jane,

It's a vicious cycle I tell 'ya.
The previous combo was a Starcraft 21SSO hybrid and I-6 Envoy. The new TV is a '12 F150 SCAB with the EcoBoost engine and standard (not MAX) tow package. So - bigger TV=bigger trailer. Your 4.6 will be a bit more sluggish with a full TT over the hybrid.

We started out wilderness canoe camping (dry your own food, 3-4 days in the boonies), then a pop-up and on to the hybrid. But DW's knees aren't so good now and she had a hard time getting into the bunk end. Since it's mostly her and me camping the 21FBS should work out well. The dealer actually told us it was mostly couples buying the 21- and 22- models.

Over the years the HTT got a few mods that I want to do to the new NT. The dealer is storing it for the winter but the refinements will begin in April or May when we pick it up.
We've been looking for several months and were surprised and pleased at what the dealer offered us for trade-in. Even figuring a "clean deal" price I paid less than I planned on.

Rogue9

We just ordered the 22FBS Caliber Edition unit. It's 29' 6 long. We are empty nesters but wanted the option for other 'beds' with the dinette and couch. (just in case we ever get grandkids) Our current camper we are trading in, is a R-Vision Maxlite 24RS which has the rear queen slide and couch slide. (and 2 front bunks) The tow length was 25' 6, but it opened to 29' 6. So, camp site length is the same. :) We were very happy with the Maxlite, but really wanted a queen bed where we didn't have to crawl over each other just to get out of bed! Floor space is really a great thing. Our dog is only 60 lb's but she really knows how to stretch out! We still tent camp occasionally when we backpack or just want to really enjoy nature, but we also like the dry comforts of a nice bed after some serious hiking.

We tow with a 2003 F150 (96K miles) SCrew 5.4L 3.73 gears and the HD tow package.

Go with what you feel is comfortable for you to tow for length and weight, but also think about that inside floor space and 'expansion of beds'. The rainy days are always nicer inside.