For all you Dodge lovers

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
Thats even true for the light truck versions.
No more Dodge Viper either, it's 'SRT Viper'. Also the parts department sign will now read 'MoPar'.

Fiat is gaining more and more control.

SRT Is becoming its own brand and car company within ChryFi. The SRT
Viper is their first car to sport the SRT only badging. I've had a couple SRT8s and currently own a 2012 Jeep SRT8.

mattpopp

Trouble Maker
They are doing away with the name, not the pickup. I don't get why but the pickup has only improved with each year and that's all that matter.

Ford did away with the power stroke after they dropped Navistar.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 3 HD

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
My '06 doesn't say Dodge on it anywhere.

I bought a Cummins.
It just happens to be in a Dodge, Ram, or Fiat. Whatever it's being called this week.:) Trace

Last edited:

lwmcguir

Bottom line is that for the money a Dodge is the best truck out there, imho :cool:
This could start a lot of discussion, we would say it is a lower cost truck and works for on road type service and if that works then that is great. Haven't bought one for a few years so maybe they are improved quite a bit, hope so.

rgwilliams69

Oh no! Not another Dodge thread. Well -ahem- I guess it's another Ram thread. Just did a bunch of research this last time around on the 2012 models. I'm a Ford guy (have been for a while) but always keep an open mind and have owned all three heavy duty makes in the last 20 years. If by "for the money" you mean Ford really likes to set their prices high, then I would agree. Pound for pound Ram and Ford are close. If I didn't get factory pricing on the Fords the Ram would have tempted me this time around. I'll just say tempted though. LOL

(hoping my Ram-nutty neighbor doesn't read this)

mattpopp

Trouble Maker
The 2013 Dodge pickups are going to be something to see. Just the 3500 models as that line is getting the majority of the mechanical upgrades for this year.

I agree with the one fellow. For the money you can not beat a Dodge. On or Offroad working it. Haven't seen a Ford or GM diesel complete the Baja 1000 yet. Dodge Diesel has a couple times. With some upgraded parts of course.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 3 HD

happykraut

My '06 doesn't say Dodge on it anywhere.

I bought a Cummins.
It just happens to be in a Dodge, Ram, or Fiat. Whatever it's being called this week.:) Trace
Trace, you hit the nail right on the head. I didn't buy my truck because it is a Dodge, I bought it because it is a Cummins.

jejinks

We are currently proud owners of a Cummins also. I never owned a Dodge/Ram/Fiat until this truck. Very pleased with it so far.

hapjack

We own a 2010 Dodge 350 with a cummins and DW, we love it we have pull flat ground and Hill & moumtans we get about 11.5to13 mph the has only 28,000 on it. The only time we use the truck is when our Big Horn 3585.Hapjack

fljlcw

just bought my 3rd Cummins/dodge/ram 2012 3500 cab/chassis am looking forward to accessorizing it

If I may add to this thread:

1. I plan to upgrade to DRW now that I have considerable more pin weight. Have been looking at Ford and Ram '13s.
2. Concern with Ford is that engine breaking is not true jake, but a computerized downshift -- Ford people seem to think they are great; however, after pulling with a Ram for a year -- I really like my engine break.
3. Test drove a DRW 2013 Ram 3500 4x2 crew cab 8' box this morning. It is a lot different from my Mega 4x4 -- I guess the mega is just a monster, because even with DRWs and flared rear fenders... it still felt smaller and more nimble.
4. I would have sealed the deal if they had a 4.10 on the lot. Seems they are stocking first with 3.42s and last years tranny. If I upgrade I am going HO tranny and 4.10 -- who knows I may want a triple axle RV some day.
5. Question for the board. Now that Ram is factory prepped for hitch, anyone have experience with Mopar? I know B&W makes an OEM for Ford factory prep, but called local RV Supply store and they do not know that anyone is making anything for the RAM -- too soon, I guess. I hate to put in rails if the truck is already prepped for a factory hitch. I am inclined to just give it a try and change it out later if needed.
6. I also plan to step down from 4x4 to 4x2. Any thoughts out there on why one would need a 4x4?

Cheers
JP

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
I went from a 4X4 GMC with the Duramax and Allison to my Ram 3500 4X2 and haven't regretted it at all. In the 7 years with the 4X4 I only used that feature twice, so I saved a few bucks and gained a couple of hundred pounds of weight capacity.

scottyb

Actually the engine braking on a Ford is the same as engine braking on a Dodge or GM. I think what you meant is that the exhaust braking is not true exhaust braking. You are correct, it is less effective than both Dodge and GM. Ford dumps exhaust into the intake to starve the engine, where Dodge and GM use the vanes on the turbo, which is closer to, but still not a Jake brake. It is well documented that GM and Dodge have better perfomance of their exhuast braking than Ford. Now that I own a Ford, i have to agree that it (exhaust braking) is worthless, but everything else makes up for it and I love my Ford.

You don't need a 4x4 if you absolutely never intend to need to back up a slope on a loose surface, or drive across spongy turf, or climb a rock ledge, or go places that you can't with a 2WD. On the other hand, if you push the envelope every now and then, why not. You will get most of your money back at resale.

danemayer

One campground put us in a grassy site where the ground was a bit soft. Rained the day before we left leaving the grass slick and the ground softer. The site was sloped slightly down to the back. Needed 4x4 to get out, and even at that, we dug up the site a bit.

One campground put us in a grassy site where the ground was a bit soft. Rained the day before we left leaving the grass slick and the ground softer. The site was sloped slightly down to the back. Needed 4x4 to get out, and even at that, we dug up the site a bit.

I have heard that Dually 4WD does not buy you that much as the weight is spread so far out over the rear tires. I read in one forum that a 4WD dually will get stuck in wet grass without even digging in. Anyone out there have similar / disimilar experiences?