Black specks on exterior of coach

Miller0758

I have developed tiny black specs on the side of my camper. I have been told this is from "shotgun or artillery fungus" from the wood mulch I have along the area where I park the camper. Has anyone else had this issue and if so, can someone make some recommendations on how to remove the spots. I have tried Simple Green and auto compound to no avail. Any help would be appreciated ... thanks, John

rick_debbie_gallant

Black specs on exterior of coach

Bug eggs or spider poop. Ya got pictures. Try some peroxide and see what it does. You could also try wd40 on a spot. . Wd40 will dissolve bugs and tar and tree sap. . Peroxide should bubble if spider or fly poop. Try weak bleach for mold/mildew. Just some touts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

murry135

New York Chapter Leaders - retired
Re: Black specs on exterior of coach

I also have these indelible spots on my white Ford. Can scratch of the so called bump but stain remains. Also looking for a way to clean them off.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member

Try contacting your Ford dealer as they have excellent ways of cleaning the outside surface of their vehicles and can point you in the right direction.

Miller0758

I also have these indelible spots on my white Ford. Can scratch of the so called bump but stain remains. Also looking for a way to clean them off.

Murry, do you by any chance park your Ford next to wood mulch?

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member

Keep in mind many of the suggestions you have been given will remove the wax. So if you try them you will need to rewax.

murry135

New York Chapter Leaders - retired

Vehicle is parked alongside of a mulched garden and under tree's most of the time.

berky

Bug eggs or spider poop. Ya got pictures. Try some peroxide and see what it does. You could also try wd40 on a spot. . Wd40 will dissolve bugs and tar and tree sap. . Peroxide should bubble if spider or fly poop. Try weak bleach for mold/mildew. Just some touts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
X2 on the spider poop. Sounds like just what I had on my fiberglass boat years ago. IIRC, I used a fiberglass polish to remove the spots and then waxed the area. I suspect an automotive bug and tar remover woud also work well.

Miller0758

From Penn State ... doesn't sound too promising. I think I will be removing some mulch this Spring!

Q: So, how do I get the artillery fungus off my house siding? Will any cleaning chemicals remove it? Power washing? How about just plain scraping? Do the spores stick to all kinds of siding?
A: The spore masses of the artillery fungus stick like super-glue. We have not found an efficient way to get them off without leaving a stain on the siding, especially on old dry siding. Power washing may work on brand new (only) vinyl siding that still has a shiny, oily, sheen.
white_pixel.gif

Each spore mass can be physically scraped, “steel-wooled”, or sanded off. Then the stain might be removed with an ink eraser, but this is a pain, literally.
white_pixel.gif

Beware of any cleansers that have claims that sound “too good to be true”, with regards to removing the artillery fungus. It is likely that they are, in fact, too good to be true. At the end of this section I have listed some attempts that readers have used to remove artillery fungus.
white_pixel.gif

porthole

Retired

When I first heard about "artillery fungus" I thought yeah right come on now..............
But it is real and we had it on the side of the house. No more mulch for me. That stuff can go as high as 20 '.

Had the house power washed with a steam jenny to clean.

RB2012

I have developed tiny black specs on the side of my camper. I have been told this is from "shotgun or artillery fungus" from the wood mulch I have along the area where I park the camper. Has anyone else had this issue and if so, can someone make some recommendations on how to remove the spots. I have tried Simple Green and auto compound to no avail. Any help would be appreciated ... thanks, John

I too have the black spots you talk about and I do park next to a mulch bed and I confirm that they are a artillary fungus have not found a solution for removing them yet but I have hundreds of them just on the 1 side of the 5ver where the mulch bed is I am in FL now and will keep you posted as I try and remove them Iam also from NJ (South) Good Luck Capt RC