Gear Vendors

GSGRAPE

Has anyone used the over/under transmission from GearVenders? I am considering putting on my F250 6.8 V10 with 3 speed auto trans.The truck pulls fine but there is too big of a gap between gears. I have lookedat information and seems this would be a pretty inexpensive solution to my rpmdrop between gears.

jnbhobe

Re: Gear Venders

What Ford truck do you have with a 3 speed transmission??? I don't think Ford has used a 3 speed in 20 years, and not ever in a V-10.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired

My buddy had a Gear Vendors on an older gas powered Ford and he loved it.

I have thought long and hard about getting one, because my 48RE has an 800RPM jump between 3rd and 4th.
I have never read anything bad about them. They seem to make great products.
The cost, including installation has been the hold up.
It runs about 4 grand installed. Just haven't been able to do it yet.

I called Gear Vendors in El Cajon and they say it is warranted to 30,000 lbs. GCVWR.
They were very good at answering any questions. Trace

GSGRAPE

Thanks for any information you can or have provided.

I have a 1999 SDF250, I'm pretty sure it has a 3 speed with overdrive. I have 373 rear end with 2wd. There is a large spread between gears and can't decide about putting the over and under on. I bought the truck new, it has 110,000 miles on it and is just like new. I am very particular with maintenance and care so can't see that I would really gain much other than spending a lot of money if I would buy a new or newer truck. I only drive the truck in the summer and it's only use is to pull the 5th wheel. I have a 2012 Sundance 3000CK, not totally sure on the model mumber.

VixPix

GSGRAPE,
I have had G/V installed on 2008 F450/6.4LDiesel/4.88 rear for 5 years. When it works, it's a dream!! I calculated about 30% improvement in MPG with mine engaged. The only thing I would caution about is towing with the G/V engaged. When I bought mine, G/V said it is good for towing up to 25K GCWR, which was fine for my setup. After about 20K miles the G/V failed and it was replaced, while I was on a road trip with the RV. G/V sent replacement to a Billings, MT dealer who installed the rebuilt replacement. Then, they said not to tow with truck in Overdrive (I always towed with the Tow/Haul mode on) - and subsequently you can now find that warning on their website (which wasn't there in '08/or in their owner's manual). After the warranty replacement unit went in it failed after about 15K miles. I haven't replaced it yet - good thing about the G/V is that if it's broken, you're not disabled. Apparently, F450's just like to eat these G/V's up. My driving style is very conservative on the highway, so I wish I could say it got worked too hard. This was my experience, for what it's worth.

Good luck, and enjoy your Heartland!!