Why No TPMS on DRW Pickups?

scottyb

Just curious why they delete the TPMS on duallies. I love mine on my Silverado. I learned to trust it, after checking it against a guage many times. It gives me a quick and accurate tire check every day. I can't see one reason for not having it on DRW's. We all know that it can be done easily with systems such as the TST 507, which can monitor up to 22 tires in dual wheel configurations. I don't mind purchasing additional sensors but would prefer not to have the TST on the dash all the time, when not towing. I assume it has something to do with being exempt from federal regulations or something like that.

DW_Gray

http://www.safercar.gov/Vehicle+Shoppers/Tires/Tires+Rating/TPMS

2: When will the new TPMS be available?
The U.S. government, through the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, requires that all passenger cars, light trucks and vans (Gross weight less than 10,000 pounds) be equipped with a TPMS starting in model year 2008. Due to a phase-in of the requirements, 20 percent of model year 2006 and 70 percent of model year 2007 vehicles are equipped with TPMS

Most, if not all, dually trucks GVWR is over 10,000 pounds.

scottyb

It could be because they don't have to, but it sure would be a nice option. Most SRW 1 tons today have a GVWR over 10K, and they have them.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Yeah, I complained about that when I bought my '09 GMC dually. Sorry Charlie, not available.

scottyb

Yeah, I complained about that when I bought my '09 GMC dually. Sorry Charlie, not available.

OK, yet another reason I wouldn't buy a dually, if I didn't have to. The TPMS and the remote start are my two favorite options that I use every day on my 3500. I suppose they may not want to mess with another interface to show the dual wheel configuration. :confused:

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Here's my TPMS. ;) Trace

Attachments

• tire thumper.jpg
    tire thumper.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:

DW_Gray

OK, yet another reason I wouldn't buy a dually, if I didn't have to. The TPMS and the remote start are my two favorite options that I use every day on my 3500. I suppose they may not want to mess with another interface to show the dual wheel configuration. :confused:

What? And not support small business and simulate the economy with the purchase of after market products to meet your desires?

scottyb

What? And not support small business and simulate the economy with the purchase of after market products to meet your desires?

I'm pretty sure I have done my share of supporting small business this year and my wife thinks so too. I have a 507 and I will get sensors for the dually. I would just like to have a clean dashboard for the 95% of the time that I am not towing my 5er.

porthole

Retired
At least with the Fords, I wouldn't consider factory TPMS a beneficial option. There are many folks on the Ford forums that have issues with the factory system.

The Ford TPMS has no user selectable settings, so, you are stuck with that one setting.
I vary the pressure based on the load with the DRW.

I do have factory remote start on my DRW

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I'm pretty sure I have done my share of supporting small business this year and my wife thinks so too. I have a 507 and I will get sensors for the dually. I would just like to have a clean dashboard for the 95% of the time that I am not towing my 5er.

The clips for the 510 display won't work with my air vents, so I stuck a piece of HD velcro on the bottom and the mating piece on the ledge above the radio. When I don't need it, it gets stowed.

View attachment 22709
View attachment 22710

scottyb

The clips for the 510 display won't work with my air vents, so I stuck a piece of HD velcro on the bottom and the mating piece on the ledge above the radio. When I don't need it, it gets stowed.

View attachment 22709
View attachment 22710

Yeah, that's pretty simple and clean. The 507 comes with a suction cup attachment for the windshield but could be used in the same manner.

At least with the Fords, I wouldn't consider factory TPMS a beneficial option. There are many folks on the Ford forums that have issues with the factory system.

My last Ford was a 2000 so they didn't yet have TPMS. I have enjoyed the TPMS on my current 3500. It is extremely accurate and I use it every day at startup to check tire pressure.

sengli

Bought my 2011 chevy 3500 DRW, early this last year. I naturally assumed the TPMS was there. As a matter fact the service people at the delaership told me it was. When I took delivery, whoops it not there? Wonder if they will add it in future? I know 2014 is supposed to be a new updated model for GM trucks.

porthole

Retired
The 507 comes with a suction cup attachment for the windshield but could be used in the same manner.

The 507 has a thin slot on the bottom which is the same size as HVAC sheet metal. I made "stepped" bracket and used 3m double stick to hold it too my dash.

//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/11365-And-so-it-begins?p=190562&viewfull=1#post190562