Bighorn smoke and Co2 Alarms

Westwind

Walking around the Bighorn today check the progress of snow melting off the roof (progressing well by the way) and heard a beeping noise, should have checked the inside first but looked in the compartment first, since I though that was were it was coming from. Once I got inside the trailer I realized it was the smoke alarm. Had a new 9 volt battery and changed it out but it kept on beeping. Opened the bedroom slide so I could get to the Co2 detector and opened the battery compartment and found 3 AA batteries and changed those and then the beeping stopped. I'm assuming they are tied together somehow. But now both have new batteries for our departure to Florida within the next two weeks.
Thought I pass the battery info on to all and suggest you change them both out once a year.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
If your rig is in storage for any length of time, remove the batteries from the smoke and CO detectors. If you store yours during the summer, all closed up, remove the batteries and take the detectors home with you. The heat and outgassing of the stuff inside can mess with the sensors.

On the other hand, most of the home/apartment CO alarm calls we run on are bad batteries. But there are some that are not. If your detector is going off and the furnace is running, get out, call 911, and don't pop open every orifice on the way. When we arrive, we'll survey the premises with our gas detectors to find the source. If you ventilate it all out, we can't find anything. And I've been on more than one where the meter in my hand "pegged." When I respond to a CO call, I'm in full PPE with my SCBA at the ready.

Gary521

Another thing to check is the CO detector itself. Those things have a limited life and will fail after a while. There is a date printed on the device somewhere.

JohnDar

Most newer ones have a life expectancy of 7 years, according to the manufacturer. They can fail sooner, however.

Westwind

Folks that have a front generator need to be sure they have both detector's operating, saw some posts of intermittant exhaust smells in the bedroom. Best to be safety concious.

JohnDar

John, I was always told to check for gas leaks using a match. What gives? ;)

Jeff, you go right ahead and use a match to check for gas leaks. Just be sure that Laurie and the kids are in the next county and your life insurance premium has been paid.