2013 Ram tows 30,000lbs

porthole

Retired
Maybe it has something to do with the new SAE ratings. Maybe the other two will be bumping up the ratings now that there is a standard.

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
Hmm... the Class V trailer hitch with a 17,000-LB load capability and 1,800 pounds of tongue weight is to light for lots of trailers. They could have done better there. Very disappointing for 30,000 lbs.

I think that's the rating for the "bumper pull" TT, the highest i've see is 12,000 lbs with 1200lbs tongue weight.

DW_Gray

After taking another look at that hitch assembly, there could be a potential problem for someone who wants to upgrade to heavier hitch.

Click on the "Enhanced Towing" tab.

Nope, nice try but that would be way under. My 08 Ram's GVWR is 12,200. I suspect the 2013 would be well more than that.

My parents 2012 F450 FX4 crew cab, long bed, dually has a curb weight of approximate 8,100 pounds. I have no idea how a similar sized truck can weigh 2 tons more???

Edit. Thinking the wrong thing. I was thinking curb weight, not GVWR.

So, GVWR would be curb weight plus max truck payload. Right? Or approximately.

DW_Gray

My parents 2012 F450 FX4 crew cab, long bed, dually has a curb weight of approximate 8,100 pounds. I have no idea how a similar sized truck can weigh 2 tons more???

The Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) is the maximum allowable weight of the fully loaded TV, including liquids, passengers, cargo and kingpin or tongue weight of any towed trailer.

Learn more here.

mattpopp

Trouble Maker
Nope, nice try but that would be way under. My 08 Ram's GVWR is 12,200. I suspect the 2013 would be well more than that.

From what I have been reading the new Ram GCWR is 37,600lbs.

Kind makes Ford F450 look like the joke that it is.

Sent from my iPhone

marvmarcy

This is an interesting discussion, but I sincerely hope no one would even consider towing 30,000# across the U.S.with a light duty truck - even 20,000# is too much for a ldt. I can only imagine coming down Wolf Creek Pass with 30,000# in tow and having a trailer brake problem - that would be scarey even in my truck.

scottyb

From what I have been reading the new Ram GCWR is 37,600lbs.

Kind makes Ford F450 look like the joke that it is.

Sent from my iPhone

I think the joke is on anyone who buys one thinking they can tow 30K with it. This leap frogging has gotten out of hand and as usual, someone always crosses the line of sanity. Looks like RAM took the GIANT LEAP.

As I mentioned somewhere earlier, my Ford Fleet guy explained the descrepencies between CC's and pickup's tow ratings, such as the F350. It is all in the programming and has nothing to do with the suspension, or structural components. I can't wait to see who if any of the Big 3 adapt the proposed SAE standards for determining tow ratings.

DW_Gray

Did you not see the Toyota Tundra towing the Space Shuttle in Los Angeles? The Ram shouldn't have any problem with towing 30K.

I've got video of an older Chevrolet 1500 flatbed towing my Cyclone on a steep hill. The smart car was out of the garage.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

ghosst666

i have a 1995 dodge 3500 at 4750 kilos x 2.2 lbs i think about 10450lbs hum that much heavier than a 450 ford ..maybe check your weight..