Goodyear G614 Upgrade

piet10

After reading all the posts about Towmax tires, we have decided to upgrade wheels and tires. Life is just too short to be worrying about blowouts and having to spend our trip looking in the rearview mirror.

I have a 2011 Greystone 29MK with about 2000 miles. The trailer weighs 10420, pin weight is 2360, and weight on the axles is 8060. I use the TST 507 TPMS. I am convinced that I want GY G614 tires. More tire than I need, but I don't want to skimp on something as important as tires. We'll just have to drink cheap beer and eat hot dogs instead of steaks for awhile.

I went to to the GY truck tire dealer today for a quote. All of the wheels he found with the 6 bolt pattern were rated at 3200 pounds, way below the tire rating. He said I might have to upgrade the hubs to an 8 bolt.

My question is this: 1. Did I give him the wrong info on the bolt pattern, do I really have 8 bolt wheels (the trailer is in storage so can't get to look at it)? 2. Is there a 6 bolt wheel that is rated 110PSI that matches the tire rating? and 3. If I have to upgrade the hub has anyone done this and is it a big deal?

Thanks for any help and comments, I'm learning way more about tires and wheels than I thought I ever wanted to know!

Al
HOC #2260

TXTiger

Not sure about the answer to your questions but a little information. I too wanted to upgrade to the Goodyear G614. I have a 2012 Cyclone 4014 and was told that my stock rims could hold the 110 psi. The tire place I was at, referred by TBC and Tredit because of two blowouts of the TireMax, was a Michelin dealer and was able to get me a discount on the XBS Rib in the same size as the G614. The nice thing abut the XBS Rib is that it only requires 80 psi, same as the stock TireMax China Bombs use, but is as good or better than the G614. It is a heavy duty tire used on semi's. After I installed them I put my rig in storage so not sure how they ride yet. Will find out in a couple of months.

danemayer

I've got G614s from the factory and the wheels have 8 lug nuts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
Your Greystone has 6000lbs axles, 6 bolt.
A 'E' rated Maxxis tire will be a perfect match. (3420lbs, 80 psi. around $180) It's a quality tire.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Your Greystone has 6000lbs axles, 6 bolt.
A 'E' rated Maxxis tire will be a perfect match. (3420lbs, 80 psi. around $180) It's a quality tire.

I agree, if you have 6 bolt, it is not prepared for a G614. That Said, I'd consider the XPS Ribs or the Maxxis, excellent tire choices for the weight.

We have 8 bolt wheels but were told 80psi max. We went with Maxxis and have been very pleased with15k miles and consistent wear. Our ElkRidge is heavier then your Greystone, but not as heavy as a Bighorn/Big Country/Landmark/Cyclone.

If you can find a Discount Tire brand tire store, they can get Maxxis for you and offer road hazard warranty.

GOTTOYS

I would go with a good American brand of load range E LT tire. They run 80 PSI and will work just fine on a trailer your size with your stock wheels. I put over 12-13,000 trouble free miles on a set of B.F. Goodrich Commercial TAs. They were then replaced on a recall with Michelin XPS Ribs at no charge. I would have been perfectly happy with another set of Goodrich tires. I use a 235/85/16 size. They fit and function just fine. There will never be another ST tire on my trailer...Don

ihsolutions

The nice thing abut the XBS Rib is that it only requires 80 psi, same as the stock TireMax China Bombs use, but is as good or better than the G614.

The XPS Rib is a very good tire, but having had both tires, I have to disagree with the statement that it's as good as the G614. The Goodyear is superior in several ways.

In any case, the XPS Rib should be a good fit based on the OP's coach and as stated, can run at 80psi which does not necessitate a wheel upgrade as the G614 would.

NWTFHunter

Past Missouri Chapter Leaders
Check on the inside of your wheels. Mine were stamped with the max lbs air pressure they were rated for. I put Goodyear G614 on my Bighorn several years ago and have not regreted doing it. More tire carrying capacity than needed but therre is no way to measure to abuse tires get from pot holes, ect and how that affects the tires. Stronger is better for my money.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
When we had our Bighorns (2), we used Micheline XPS ribs and had great luck with them.

As Erika said, if you can find a Discount Tire, buy the road hazard warranty. It is absolutely worth it. They even agreed to cover my Landmark tires (Goodyear) after having it for over a year. It cost me a bit but if I have a road hazard blowout it will be replaced.

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
Remember... your tires should be inflated according to the load they are carrying.
There is no need (according to Sendel Wheels and Goodyear) to change wheels if your operating pressure will be within your current wheel limits!

Attachments

• Goodyear tire pressures for G614.jpg
    Goodyear tire pressures for G614.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 74

danemayer

Remember... your tires should be inflated according to the load they are carrying.
There is no need (according to Sendel Wheels and Goodyear) to change wheels if your operating pressure will be within your current wheel limits!
While this is correct, it may not be a good practice. Someone other than you could be adding air after reading cold pressure of 110psi on the sidewall of the tire.

piet10

Thanks to everyone for the great advice. If I have to go with ST tires I will use the Maxxis. But the engineer in me doesn't like the idea of running the tires at their max design speed limit of 65 mph for long periods on the freeway.

I like the idea on the Michelin RIBS, but the tire diameter may be too big for the axle spacing. I believe my axles are 32.5 inches center to center which doesn't leave enough clearance for the 235 size. I could go with the 245 size, but have to check if my wheels are wide enough for that tire..

Guess I'll have to wait until I can get to the storage facility to do some actual measurements.

Thanks

Al
HOC 2260

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
Thanks to everyone for the great advice. If I have to go with ST tires I will use the Maxxis. But the engineer in me doesn't like the idea of running the tires at their max design speed limit of 65 mph for long periods on the freeway.

I like the idea on the Michelin RIBS, but the tire diameter may be too big for the axle spacing. I believe my axles are 32.5 inches center to center which doesn't leave enough clearance for the 235 size. I could go with the 245 size, but have to check if my wheels are wide enough for that tire..

Guess I'll have to wait until I can get to the storage facility to do some actual measurements.

Thanks

Al
HOC 2260

I understand your logic as an Eng. and you will be happier with the Ribs.
The Maxxis tires have impressed me, I have traveled at 70 mph in 116 deg heat and they have been flawless. I often travel in cold conditions and the Maxxis have performed well.
Ribs are not intended for the cold......
"Highway Rib Summer light truck tires are for drivers who want a combination of heavy-duty load capacity, even wear and low noise along with traction on dry and wet roads. Sometimes used as Original Equipment (O.E.) on medium and heavy-duty 2WD trucks, vans and pickups, Highway Rib Summer tires are not intended to be driven in near-freezing temperatures, through snow or on ice"

Your Graystone is heaver than my Sundance so the Goodyear G614 with new HD wheels would be bullet proof.

Birchwood

You may not have enough weight for 614 Goodyears and may subject your Greystone to unwanted stress as these
tires are very ridgid.Just use a good E tire and don't waste your money.You have to realize only the Heartland members
that have blowouts post on this forum.Thousands don't have blowouts!

TireHobby

Thanks

Al
HOC 2260

It would behoove you to carefully read the reference before using a Michelin LT tire to replace a ST tire.

http://www.michelinman.com/mediabin/Approved/Michelin/Visuals/Digital/Owners%20Manual_Post_Promise_Plan.pdf

TireHobby

brianharrison

brianharrison

On page #2 bullet # 3 and bullet #7 on page 3.

TH

Thanks TireHobby. With these references I believe you are suggesting that Michelin may not warranty tires if LT are used in applications where ST are OEM.

So others do not have to open the attachment and search, these are:

page #2 bullet # 3 - – Misapplication, improper maintenance, racing, underinflation, overinflation or other abusebullet #7 on page 3
- Use of MICEHLIN® tires that is inconsistent with the maintenance information provided in your owner's manual.

Hopefully I have copied the references correctly.

Brian

piet10

I believe that is in refernce to the fact they won't support the Flat Tire Changing Assistance on traiiler tires. If you go to the RV section of the Michelin website, check the box next to XPS Ribs and download the brochure, they give loading and inflation tables expressly for an RV application. I hope I added the brochure correctly to this reply, but if not part of it reads:

Load and Inflation Tables XPS RIB®

In the load and inflation tables, SINGLE means an axle with one tire mounted on each end, while DUAL means an axle with two tires mounted

on each end. The loads indicated represent the total weight of an axle end, in an RV application. When one axle end weighs more than the

other, use the heaviest of the two end weights to determine the unique tire pressure for all tires on the axle. The maximum cold air pressure for

each axle may vary, depending on their weights.These tables are applicable for all RV axles, whether or not they are power-driven.

for RV usage only

Attachments

• XPS RIB.pdf
    53.7 KB · Views: 21