Front Hydraulic Landing Gear will not work

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
I was hooking up to head out for the weekend and lifted my landing gear up on my Bighorn 3585 and now my hydraulic landing gear will not work. The coach all has power, but nothing happens when I attempt to operate my landing gear switch. Is there an in line fuse somewhere? I looked in the compartment and see that there is a relay, but do not see an in line fuse.

Last edited:

SGeohagan

Re: Front Hydrolic Landing Gear will not work

Had something similar last summer. It was a loose wire behind the battery.

For20hunter

SOLVED Re: Front Hydraulic Landing Gear will not work

Problem solved. There are little reset buttons on the relays in the battery compartment that I didn't know existed. Found it was trapped and initially thought the relays was bad, but it just needed to be reset. Small buttons on the front of the relays.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Re: SOLVED Re: Front Hydraulic Landing Gear will not work

Make sure that you DO NOT hold the button TOOOO long when raising the landing gear. When the gear is up and the motor grunts....stop. It will trip the breaker everytime.

For20hunter

Make sure that you DO NOT hold the button TOOOO long when raising the landing gear. When the gear is up and the motor grunts....stop. It will trip the breaker everytime.

I am not sure why the breaker tripped. The only reason i realized they weren't working was that I noticed on my safety check before driving that my right front landing leg was not all the way up. Whn I tried to raise it the rest of the way, nothing happened and I learned I had a problem. Still have no idea why it tripped the saftey relay.

happykraut

Problem solved. There are little reset buttons on the relays in the battery compartment that I didn't know existed. Found it was trapped and initially thought the relays was bad, but it just needed to be reset. Small buttons on the front of the relays.
The "little button on the side of the relay" is probable a resettable circuit breaker.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter

Rod, unless you have a power (12V) to ground problem. My 1st post is probably the issue with tripping the breaker. The breaker might be a little weak or you need to upgrade to a higher amp breaker. Holding the button toooo long will trip the breaker every time.

happykraut

Rod, unless you have a power (12V) to ground problem. My 1st post is probably the issue with tripping the breaker. The breaker might be a little weak or you need to upgrade to a higher amp breaker. Holding the button toooo long will trip the breaker every time.
I would strongly advise against upgrading to a higher amp breaker, it is almost never recommended. That breaker is designed to protect your circuitry and wiring. I agree that the breaker might be a little weak.

jnbhobe

I would strongly advise against upgrading to a higher amp breaker, it is almost never recommended. That breaker is designed to protect your circuitry and wiring. I agree that the breaker might be a little weak.

Bernie; bigger or dual breakers has been Lippert's fix for years. They put dual 50 amp breakers in my Challenger 10 yrs ago.

happykraut

Bernie; bigger or dual breakers has been Lippert's fix for years. They put dual 50 amp breakers in my Challenger 10 yrs ago.
Jon, I'll have to stick with what I said. In the electrical/electronic world that just isn't recommended. I'm sure you know more what Lippert does than I'll ever know.

TedS

My dealer measured 70+ amps when the hydraulic pump is running, so I upgraded from the OEM 50-amp to an 80-amp breaker. The pump no longer stops because of the breaker tripping and the wiring does not even get warm for the run time to move slides or to operate the landing gear.

For20hunter

Well thank you all for the advice and suggestions. Since figuring out the reset on my breaker I have hooked and unhooked 4 times and have not had another issue. I checked my ground quality and have no issues there. I will have my local dealer/repair facility check the amp draw coming from the motor the next time I have it at the shop and see what they and Heartland recommend. Thanks again for all of your help.