Noisy Furnace - quieted

jbeletti

Hi all,

From the first use, I felt that my furnace was awfully noisy. We would have to turn up the TV volume when the furnace came on, then back down when the furnace went off. Very annoying.

Well I pulled the wooden grill off from under the refer to look at the furnace from the inside and I noticed that the plenum was no longer firmly attached to the floor. The furnace is mounted through the trailer sidewall but the plenum needs to be secured to the floor so the warm air can enter the in-floor ducting.

While at the factory this week to have the premium Fantastic fan installed in the bedroom (this was missed during the trailer build), the factory folks resealed the plenum with that reflective metal-like tape and a long metal bracket.

Much quieter! I am happy :)

If your furnace is noisier than you think it should be, take a look to see if it is still well sealed at the floor. If not, ask your dealer to take a look at it and reseal it.

Happy trails,

Jim

Cheryl

Hey Jim,
Quick question. Is the Fantastic fan in the bedroom an add-on option or are all Landmarks supposed to come with one?

jbeletti

Hi Cheryl,

I believe that all Landmarks come standard with the base model Fantastic fan in the bedroom - same as the one now standard in the commode room.

These higher end models really pull a high volume of air through. Right now, I have both the kitchen and bedroom fans on max speed with a single window open at the back of the coach and in the bedroom. I have the pocket door closed.

We're about to take the dogs for a long walk and we'll see if the coach cools down or not using this method. If not, the air conditioning goes back on.

By the way Cheryl, do you have a base model or any fan in the bedroom now?

Either way, one could be put in. Charger RV Repair in Elkhart did a "fantastic" job swapping mine out. They had to fish the ceiling over to the wall and ffish the wall in order to mount the thermostat/control.

Take care,

Jim

Cheryl

I actually don't know. We bought ours in November and only got to use it that weekend. It has been in our garage since. I'll go out tomorrow and look. We are leaving Thursday for a long weekend to hopefully "work out all the bugs" before our 3 week trip in July. Our new truck just came in 2 weeks ago.

Tom of Ypsi

Jim, Thanks for the update on the noisy furnace. I will take a look tomorrow before I call the dealer to see if I can get my Landmark back in again. Just came back from a short 3 day trip and have two more things wrong. One is the subwoofer came unscrewed on one side. I had to take it down completely so I did not ruin the ceiling. I have never seen a setup like this, the subwoofer is pop riveted to the bracket and also glued, no way to get the screw back into the ceiling. The second problem is I have one of the doors on the washer dryer cabinet fall off while traveling. The screws stripped out. This is the same door that is warped and needs replacing. Hope to get it back within a couple of weeks as we have several extended trips planned.

co4me

Noisy furnace

Hi Jim,

I realize your post on noisy furnaces is pretty old but I just happened to read it the other day. My furnace on my Golden Gate is noisy so I removed the vent cover. The plenum has about a half inch of clearance from the floor. I tried to press it down but it was very firm. How much was the gap on your plenum and were they able to screw it into the floor or did they just fix it with sealant?

Thanks,

Bill

Tom of Ypsi

Hi Bill,

My furnace had at least a 1/2 gap in it. It was screwed down and had sealant put around it, sure did make a difference. When I took my trailer in I left the vent cover off to show the dealer. Trying to explain they did not understand, visually they understood.

co4me

Noisy Furnace

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the reply. I'm going to add this to the list I have for my next warranty visit.

Bill

Tom of Ypsi

Mine was done under warranty. Once the front grill was taken off it was pretty obvious why the furnace was noisy.

ddj

furance noise

Hi Jim
My furance blower was loud and took it to world wide rv in mesa to have it fixed. I told them about sealing it and they called the factory for help in the matter. Nobody in the factory knew what they were talking about so they put a piece of foam behind the grill cover and basicly sealed off the opening.Its better now but can that be good to seal off the return air?

jbeletti

ddj,

I think the furnace gets combustion air from outside but regardless, Scott Tuttle told me emphatically one day to never seal that off. I thought it was louvered and popped off easily just to be able to easily service what is behind there but maybe there's more to it. For one, in very cold weather, warmth from inside the coach can get under the refer and keep the pipes back there warmed up.

Not sure about the foam used to block your grill but maybe it does allow some air to penetrate.

Be careful,

Jim

BigBlue

BigBlue
The louvered cover is the return air for the furnace. It should not be sealed because you won't get air circulation through the system. Also the furnace could overheat because air is not coming in around the firebox.

Tom of Ypsi

ddj,
Do what I did when my furnace blower was loud. I took the grill off before I took it back to the dealer. Show them where the problem is by running it with the service mgr there, sounds like the plenium is not fastened down but may be more to it. Take that foam piece out of the grill when you have it off, you are restricting air flow and will just lead to bigger problems. Hope this helps.

mike

Mike
Hi all I know I am in the Lanmark area and I have a Big Horn, but seams like a lot of talk about furnace vents and my question is does anyone know if a Big Horn 3655RD should have a vent inside, mine does not or at least I can not find it. The 3655RD has floor plan like the Monticello with the seperate rear Den and not sure if there should be one.

Thanks
Mike