P/U Truck Tires - Brand Recommendations?

My truck came with Goodyear M&S LT265/70R18 E Load Range tires. I now have 17,000 miles on them and they need to be replaced. I rotate my tires every 5,000 miles, always check air pressure, and estimated pin weight of the Big Horn around 3,000 when the rig is fully loaded. I know a lot of rver's run Michelin tires, but I have not had the best of luck with them. Any suggestions on other Brands?
Thanks - Mike

Rickhansen

While I have never had any problems with GoodYears, I have also never gotten reasonable life out of them either. I have had many sets of Michelin LTX M+S tires with very good performance and very good wear results. 60 or 70 thousands miles has been the normal with my Michelins, while I don't believe I have ever gotten 30k from a set of GY's. This time, because the LTX M+S have been discontinued, I opted for Michelin LTX AT2's. They carry a significantly higher price tag. So far I have no complaints of handling or wear, but will tell you these tires are very noisy at highway speed.

The jury is still out for me on the new Michelins. I know you have reservations already, and I can't provide any subjective opinions on other brands. Maybe my indirect answer will help you anyway. Good Luck.

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
The 3 biggest influences on tire life are composition, loading and driving habits.
What works for me may be a poor choice for you and vice versa.
If you have the time before you buy, do some homework and ask questions of knowledgeable tire people. Find a tire that's most closely designed for your specific needs. As in most things, you get what you pay for but if your tires are more likely to rot out before they wear out you may not want to spend top dollar.
I'm sure I just made your selection process more difficult instead of easier but there is no easy answer.

caissiel

M S tires are made for traction and wear fast. Highway ones will last longer with harder rubber. I have the BFGoodrich Rugged Trail spate one that came on my truck on now that outlasted 2 new sets and my next set will surely be same. For 200$ can't go wrong.

Sent from my SPH-M910 using Tapatalk 2

Yup

BF Goodrich rugged trail TA, I've had now 2 sets on mine with 80-90 k on each set, working on the third.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I've had Firestone Transforce HT's on my Chevy for a bit over 5 years. Quiet tire and so far tread life has been very good. Purchased with lifetime rotate & Balance and this gets done religiously.

convert

Reginald Hromek
coincidentally I run the same tire as Ray, and rotate and balance as does Ray. So far I have 3 trips to Texas and one to Wyoming from Wisconsin and the tires are wearing well am happy with this tire. The Michelins before did not seem to wear as well. Sometimes the dollar is a consideration and for the money I will stay with Firestone for now.

jnbhobe

I'm with Ray I have a set of Transforce HT's ready to go on for spring.They have always been a good tire. I have Michelin LTX M&S 270-70-18 LR-E now, 27K on them and only 7/32 left on them. I am not a big fan of Michelin's they are way too slippery on cold asphalt when they get to 1/2 tread. I finally put on the studded snow tires last week.

Gaffer

I get into some mud and snow so I run an aggressive mud tire. Toyo Open Country. Got 50k out of my first set.

goldenbetty

goldenbetty
Hubby says Bridgestone AT REVO, 265/75/16 E. That is what we have on ours, They are made for 17 inch wheels as well. They wear well, just rotate every 5000 miles.

driver311

i have been using Michelin for a long time. the last 5 sets have gone over 100000 miles. i pull heavy and hard . u get what u pay for....

brianharrison

You'll need to do some homework first and decide what you want your new tires to do - only highway, on/off road, winter time, etc?

Some of the tires already mentioned cannot be compared together - ie within Michelin the LTX A/T2 is an on/off road; the LTX M/S is a highway all season, etc. They all have their unique characteristics and behavoirs - ie noise, wear, traction.

I use tire rack to read reviews of real world experiences and research. I chose the LTX A/T2 for some highway and some off road - ie wet grass pulling, some mud etc.

Here are some tirerack ratings for Highway All Seasons, On/Off Road All Terrains. Different links. Here is a main survey page. Good luck.

Brian

rumaco

US Army Retired (CW4)
Like asking what makes the sun rise! I use TOYO 12 ply with 6 ply sidewalls on my dually.....that's all I will say!

DuaneG

I just put some M/S Toyos on my truck and don't expect to get as much life out of them as my previous highway tread tires. They actually look meaty like a truck tire should. They did add some noise when driving and make the truck move side to side a bit more with wind, but handle great in the snow.
They have forced me to slow down a bit, which makes my wife happy. But if I was possitive I would not be in the snow or mud I would have stuck with a highway tread.

scottyb

I have been driving 3/4T and 1T company trucks for everyday drivers for many years. I can't tell you how many different tires I have ran, since I average about 40K / year. I have used Goodyear Wranglers, many sets of BF Boodrich AT's, Dunlop, Cooper, Firestone, and even tried Nitto's. Some were good, especially the BF Goodrich, but I had to work hard to get 40K out of the AT's. The Nitto's seemd like good tires but they got so loud at arounf 30K I couldn't stand it any more. The last two sets have been Michellin LTX A/T-2. I got 64K out of the 1st set and have 46K on the 2nd set going strong. That's 1.5 times the miles I have gotten out of any other tire over a 30 year period. I'll never change from Michellins unless something happens. I am spending the extra bucks and putting them on all the company vehicles. It will save money in the long run.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
I have had 2 sets of the Firestone 265-75-16 AT Transforce tires and have been very happy with them. They are the same tire as Bridgestones except they are $40.00 cheaper than a Bridgestone.

First of all, thanks to everyone that responded. Due to my tire size, I am limited to Goodyear and Michelin. So, I bit the bullet and went with Michelin LTX A/T2 All Season LT265/70R18 via Costco. I did check Tire Rack as suggested and the tire received a very favorable rating. Now just have to wait and see and they perform.
Again, thanks to all - Mike
PS: Our prior fifth Wheel was a 2004 37' Cardinal and the new Big Horn tows like a dream. Looking forward to many trips.

mattpopp

Trouble Maker
I'm a huge fan of Hankook Dynapro's. My good friend works construction and his Dodge 2500 weights around 9500lbs on any given day. Easily over 10klb at times also. But he managed 61,000 miles out of a set of Dynapro M/T with 3 rotations.

I will not put another set of Nitto Trail Grapplers, Terra Grapplers, or Toyo A/T on a pickup. Either they wore to quickly or they had horrible wet road handling.

Not a fan of Goodyears as they tend to be a thin tire compared to every other brand. Not usually a issue unless you drive gravel roads.

scottyb

First of all, thanks to everyone that responded. Due to my tire size, I am limited to Goodyear and Michelin. So, I bit the bullet and went with Michelin LTX A/T2 All Season LT265/70R18 via Costco. I did check Tire Rack as suggested and the tire received a very favorable rating. Now just have to wait and see and they perform.
Again, thanks to all - Mike
PS: Our prior fifth Wheel was a 2004 37' Cardinal and the new Big Horn tows like a dream. Looking forward to many trips.

You will not be sorry. I have the same truck as you and I am very hard on tires. I drive off road every day, sometimes doing a little rock hopping and trail blazing, in my work. These tires blew away everything I have used over the last 30 years.