Has anybody replaced the Dinette with Recliners?

dbhutchins

We want to replace the Dinette/table assembly with a pair of recliners. We almost never use the dinette table, eating off trays and a couple of small folding tables. And we find the dinette seats marginally comfortable at best. A pair of small recliners, like the ones sold at Camping World would be a lot more comfortable "living room" setup. I'm sure he whole dinette assembly just pulls out, and could be easily tossed. But we're concerned over the lost storage space. We'd like ideas on how to make up some of that storage with a cabinet/table between two loungers. Any suggestions?

Don & Sue

rene_terry

We have the u-shaped dinette and not as comfortable as we'd like. Terry's removed the set and building a custom base to hold a futon. That way we have a comfy couch and are able to keep the lower storage. The futon company was willing to sell us the deck (that portion that the cushion rests on) only along with the futon cushion and cover. Having had an extremely comfortable futon in our den for years, we're thrilled we can bring a new one to our 5th. Building the frame work/drawers will let us stain it to match the cherry wood interior and not give up the lower storage. Believe this will be better as instead of deep drawers, we'll have three 30" drawers that are about 10" inches. We've made several changes inside and now we're just wondering where to place these items for sale. What will you do with your dinette?

dbhutchins

What will you do with your dinette?

What a good question. Haven't gotten that far, but I suspect we'll just toss it. It's not as if this is a quality piece of furniture, and I have no idea where else we might use it. Appreciate your thoughts on the subject. When I get around to the reno work, I'll update this with some pics, in case others are thinking along the same lines...

Don

thibideau

Last spring we removed the 'U' shaped dinette/bench in our 3010 and replaced with two recliners. If we need a table, we set the fold up table in the garage. At this point, do not miss the storage space the bench provided. Still looking for the a small side table to use between the chairs.

dbhutchins

Last spring we removed the 'U' shaped dinette/bench in our 3010 and replaced with two recliners.

Did you have any problem pulling out the dinette, and were the walls finished behind it, or did you have to do any work beyond just pulling them out?

Curious,

Don

thibideau

Don & Sue

No problem in removing the dinette/benches. The backs lifted out of the bench and the benches were screwed to the floor. Just a matter of locating the screws and it was relatively easy. No need for any fix and repair as the walls were finished. We found that we did not use the storage in the bench and therefore have not missed the bench storage space.
We do prefer relaxing in the recliners much better than sitting on the uncomfortable bench.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Would love to see some pictures of the mod!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

thibideau

We finally dug the 3010 out of the snow. Here is picture of recliners inplace of U-shaped dinette. Amble room and more comfortable.

Attachments

• P1000915.jpg
    P1000915.jpg
    461.2 KB · Views: 214

dbhutchins

We finally dug the 3010 out of the snow. Here is picture of recliners inplace of U-shaped dinette. Amble room and more comfortable.

They look great. Two questions:

- what make/model are they and where did you find them?

- do you restrain them (tie them down) on the road? If not - have they moved much on you?

Thanks for the inspiration!

Don

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Rather than put in chairs we replaced our dinnette with a cabinet to hold our portable ice maker and cover our 5cu ft freezer..
We felt this would give us more service than anything else..

DSC_4562_800.jpg

This is what we do..

BC

thibideau

They look great. Two questions:

- what make/model are they and where did you find them?

- do you restrain them (tie them down) on the road? If not - have they moved much on you?

Thanks for the inspiration!

Don

Don & Sue

We actually picked these chairs up from our dealer last Feb. We walked through several units (Big Horns, Big Country, Cyclones and Landmarks) and found ones that we thought were comfortable enough for our use. They actually came from a Landmark. These chairs are trimmed with wood on the front.

We did not tie the chairs down when travelling, and no they did not move much

Enjoyed the chairs far more then the dinette

happykraut

Don & sue, I sold my dinette/booth out of one of my previous 5ers. I had it on Craigslist and had no problem selling it..

lizjj

We have the u-shaped dinette and not as comfortable as we'd like. Terry's removed the set and building a custom base to hold a futon. That way we have a comfy couch and are able to keep the lower storage. The futon company was willing to sell us the deck (that portion that the cushion rests on) only along with the futon cushion and cover. Having had an extremely comfortable futon in our den for years, we're thrilled we can bring a new one to our 5th. Building the frame work/drawers will let us stain it to match the cherry wood interior and not give up the lower storage. Believe this will be better as instead of deep drawers, we'll have three 30" drawers that are about 10" inches. We've made several changes inside and now we're just wondering where to place these items for sale. What will you do with your dinette?

We took ours to a local auction house. We have a 2013 3800 toyhauler and the dinette in very uncomfortable. We took it out, put the storage boxes in the loft and bought a pub table and chairs and love it.