New to DRW truck need help on checking tire pressure

wingfoot

As stated above, I'm new to having a DRW truck...I'm just wondering if there is an easier way to add air/check PSI on the inside tire. I have heard, but can't substantiate it, that you should not use Valve extensions (possible leak problems). It looks like it's gonna be a bear to check/add air to the inside dual. I do have a 507 TST tire monitoring system from my old truck which I plan on using but don't have a clue how I'm going to program the sensors (two tires on each side)...

As a side note, I did find out that DRW's do not come with TPMS sensors..

Larry

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
Re: New to DRW truck need help

I also have the 507 sensors. To get them connected I have cut the handle off the tool and with a little electrical tape, taped to the tool gives me the ability to attach the sensors pretty easily.

wingfoot

I also have the 507 sensors. To get them connected I have cut the handle off the tool and with a little electrical tape, taped to the tool gives me the ability to attach the sensors pretty easily.

Thanks Michael, Do you run a sensor on each of the rear wheels (4)...I don't think the 507 will give you a dual reading for each of the rear duals..could be wrong though...plus it looks like it's going to be impossible to get my hand to facilitate the inside dual...

Last edited:

2psnapod2

Yes the monitor will allow for a dually I have them also on my spare and just use one tire on the last axle. As far as your hands go, the space is pretty small but with the redesigned tool, I can get in there. It is just not easy.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
New to DRW truck need help

The sensors each have a distinct code, so the system will read each one independently and your display will show you which one is currently being read as it scrolls through them.

The manual does recommend metal stems, not rubber.

porthole

Retired

Larry, can you get your hand through the hole?

If so, my suggestion would be to a) have the valve stems opposite each other and b) remove the "anti theft" cap from the sensors. It will be so much easier to install the sensors.

Since the wheels only have 5 holes the stems will not line up exactly. And they will only be close to being aligned in one position relative to the outside wheel.
I've been doing this for 2 years now.

If you can't get your hand through or have someone do it for you, you may be stuck pulling the wheel, and that is a real pain.

2psnapod2

I decided not to pull the anti-thief part due to the chance of loosing them to someone that needs them more than I.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
New to DRW truck need help

When I first got my truck, I we t to a tire shop that specializes in trucks. They warned against the extensions, saying the close mounting of the duallies made them susceptible to damage from road debris. But putting the sensors on an extension might cause the same problem as putting them on rubber stems, vibrating and wobbling, possibly causing failure of the stem. Unless the end of the extension is secured to the outer wheel. I don't have sensors on my truck, but the valve caps are "gated" and I can check or fill without removing them. And I have them aligned so the inner is reasonably accessible with the long gage. Can't get my hand in there, though. When I bought new tires last summer, the tire store couldn't get steel stems that fit the holes in my wheels. Dunno why.

porthole

Retired

I decided not to pull the anti-thief part due to the chance of loosing them to someone that needs them more than I.

My thought to that is that someone who needs them more then me already knows and has that special little tool available.

Now, if it is really a concern, I would leave the anti theft caps on the front and rear outer's.
But, when I was using them I found the tool a real pain to use on the rear wheels anyway. Maybe it was just the 510 sensors. I don't recall if I ever tried the 507's with the cap.

I did use valve stem extensions on the inner's with success.

6" stainless extensions with a piece of clear tubing. I just let them lay in the hole of the outer. But once I had the new sensors I didn't see a reason to use them, but that was because I could just get my hand in the wheel and spin them on.
I was not able to do that using the tool.

Attachments

• valve_stem_extension.jpg.JPG
    valve_stem_extension.jpg.JPG
    278.7 KB · Views: 160

wingfoot

Thanks guys..this gives me some options..I'm inclined to just use sensors on the outer duals...

mobilcastle

I use valve extensions that are flexible metal braiding like you would see on a pluming supply water line. They work great. I also use a regular air filling tool that I mounted a piece of pipe to to reach the inner wheel air valve extension which is mounted to the rim. I set my wheels 180 degrees apart so both valve stems are not in the same hole. I do not use a TPMS. I use a truckers long gauge to check pressures.https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/...RcwZVKsQ1j2Z7SXZb-_izYKWzht3fuMcjmFN-e17Z27uw

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/...vOWjxW1fhofkru8a6xp_etRO65BnKlQhjV7BfScSyBkFm

tireman9

A number of points to cover here.

Why would you only use TPM sensor on the outer dual. You can get a nail on either dual. If you pick up a nail on the inner tire you might get a warning from the outer sensor after the inner tire has failed and you have damaged the outer tire due to 100% overload.

Don't let the end of the extension hose "just lay" in the hole. It will flop around and you will probably see either the hose or valve or the seal between the hose & valve fail. You could then loose air and fail both tires. You should firmly attach the outer end of the hose.
Hose Extenders.JPG My hoses have "L shaped metal brackets attached to the bolt on axle covers. When I check the air I support the hose so I am not just pushing against the mounting brackets. I have 17,000 + with zero leaks. My TPMS is a special system with sensors similar to what is on new cars. Sensors inside the tires that bolt to the rim through the valve hole.

You should not be using rubber stems as most of those are rated only for 65 psi MAX cold inflation. You should never use rubber stems if you have TPMS or hose extenders as the extra weight can flex and fail the stems. General info on valves HERE.

I have run TPM sensors on the ends of hose extenders with no problems but have only tested for about 1000 miles so far.

The law requiring TPMS on new vehicles is for vehicles rated at less than 10,000 GVWR so that is why you didn't get TPMS from your OE.

oscar

I took off the anti theft covers. My hand JUST fits through the hole, with some pain. I like those braided hoses. You have a source for those?

Hastey

Oklahoma Chapter Leaders

My first of three flats was an left inner.
My third of three flats was a right inner

Truck or equipment trailer it doesn't matter, they are always on the inside. If it was on an outside tire, well, that would be to easy to fix beside the road. That's just the way the towing god have it. 😀

Zoomzoommo

I just put my sensors on the dually and Cyclone last weekend. Like Porthole, i removed the anti-theft covers, since the tool was difficult to use on the Ford wheels. But I did keep the covers on the Cyclone. Checking and adjusting air pressure on the dually definitely is a PITA, but the 507 system works great.