Dometic SeaLand toilet bowl doesn't hold water

Johnm

I wanna go camping - NOW
Help,

My SeaLand toilet (model # 210) doesn't hold water in the bowl after flushing. I've had it apart 3 times checking seals and the (flush) ball. Everything looks great; there's no debris (of anykind) and the seal and ball look fantastic. I'm going to call my dealer as soon as they open up this morning but I was wondering if anyone has had the same problem and come up with a fix.

Thanks,

Forrest Fetherolf

Johnm said:
Help,
My SeaLand toilet (model # 210) doesn't hold water in the bowl after flushing. I've had it apart 3 times checking seals and the (flush) ball. Everything looks great; there's no debris (of anykind) and the seal and ball look fantastic. I'm going to call my dealer as soon as they open up this morning but I was wondering if anyone has had the same problem and come up with a fix.

John,
If your toilet seal looks good and you have removed the toilet bowl from the toilet base..............the seal system consists of large flat compression seal (to seal toilet bowl to toilet base) and inner seal (flush ball seal). The inner seal can be rotated within the outer seal allowing the flush ball to reseal against a ball seal in a different wear pattern.

My toilet was not sealing because the flush ball seal was sagging not allowing the flush ball to completely close the last 1/8". I rotated the inner seal slightly to create a new wear surface for the flush ball to glide over and close. Use Pledge furniture polish to lube the seal (has wax in it).

Make sure to removed all debris from both seals before reinstalling and spray Pledge onto both sides of seals. Reinstall the toilet bowl and tighten the clamp, the flush ball seal should have the same reveal around the flush ball opening (as looking down the hole). If not, loosen the clamp and adjust the toilet bowl into position.

If this works, no need to buy parts. The flush ball seal can be rotated several times until it seals no more...............then you can buy an new seal kit. Tool required........screwdriver or nut driver to remove the toilet bowl speed clamp. No need to disconnect the water lines, just turn off water supply to RV and dump any water in toilet bowl prior removing clamp.

If you need further instructions or advice.....contact your spouse.;)

Forrest

Johnm

I wanna go camping - NOW
Thanks to both of you. I'll see what kind of spray lubes we have at home, and yes, I'll make sure that they don't have any petroleum or harsh chemicals in them.

Since my RV is less than 4 months old, I called Dometic and they're sending me a new seal and spring cartridge (for the flush ball). Hopefully it gets here by Thursday since we're going camping this coming weekend.

Thanks again,

seabee

not holding water

I just had my trailer in for repairs for other things and I said to the tech my toilet won't hold water so after looking at it he installed a new seal now this in a 2008 unit so it can happen to all no matter the year.
He said slam the foot pedal about half way up.
Bud

ct0218

Pam works great as a lubricant. You can also have a calcium buildup on the ball. Mine was not holding water and cleaning off the calcium and spraying with Pam got it working. Sealand has a decalcifier that they recommend using periodically to prevent this from happening, and I suspect it is a standard repackaged decalcifier available anywhere.

Pulltab

What Seabee said is often a cure. There is often a slop fit in the mechanism of the foot pedal and often if you watch the ball in the toilet as you raise the pedal you can feel it rotate just a little bit which is usually enough to make it seal. On our old toilet it leaked down constantly and we just got in the habit of when flushing to automatically raise the pedal as if putting more water in the bowl.

Johnm

I wanna go camping - NOW
There is definetly slop in the ball, which is why, I assume, that Dometic is sending me a new one, along with a new seal. The toilet is less then 4 months old, so I really hope calcium isn't in play yet. I will try the Pam idea though since I know I have that in the cupboard.

Thanks for the help!

zsa-zsa

sundance kid
call dometic ,they will send you new toilet.. Mine was fix 2 times by dealer,once myself .. fix only last short while... Finally called dometic.they sent me new toilet. Its been about 6 months, working fine