Traveling in cold weather

BigIron

Experienced cold weather travelers,

Ok, my 33CK is a 12,000 pound ice box while traveling through Utah and currently in Colorado. How do you keep all your goods inside from freezing while moving from point to point?

i was talking with someone and they asked if I run my heater? No...was the answer, but what are the tricks of the cold weather travels?

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired
When Traveling south in January in the past I have always run my Heat to take the chill off the trailer - temp set to the lowest temp possible during travel and boosted at night for sleeping. I assume you are not sleeping in the Rig during your travels. If the Rig is still winterized ( I never de-winterized until I got below the MD line ) then you could also just store any liquids in the TV and take them indoors at night... but since I slept in my rig at night I never needed to worry about that.

Happy Travels,
Kevin

convert

Reginald Hromek
I left central Wisconsin on Dec 30. It was cold and we slept in our rig. I believe the second night was 13 degrees. We travel every winter in the cold and never travel with the heat on and have never lost a thing from freezing. Before we start the heat is put on for the first night to allow us to pack, we leave it on over night to allow final packing on our starting day. The first day is usually a long one about 9-10 hours. our first stop finds temps about 20 degrees. I believe that by warming up at each stop it keeps the the rig warm enpugh to keep from freezing. Yes it takes a short time to get some heat back in the rig but not a real problem. Never lost a thing. The refer actually helps keep from freezing and the freezer doesn't thaw. Been doing this for years. Am now in Texas and its cool here too. We do not travel with the heat on.

Wharton

We have traveled in cold weather for years and never had a problem. We couldn't keep the heat on even if we wanted to. 3 of the 5 heat vents are blocked with the slides pulled in and we keep the bedroom door closed(where one heat vent is) so the cats don't get under the bed when it is in. If you heat the trailer each evening I don't think you will have a problem.

BigIron

All,

I guess the -4° to 10° weather while traveling through Utah and Colorado was too much. I was able to use the
RV once before it froze up. Currently in Kansas and the trailer has thawed. Even my 2 gallon jug of water has
returned to normal:) .