East from Denver to Elkhart

StarryNight

Retired Colorado Chapter Leaders
We will be leaving the Denver area the end of January & heading for Elkhart, Indiana. We can either go I-80 or I-70 for most of the way. We have heard that I-80 is a rough ride/poor road maintenance. We would like anyone's take on road conditions for either route/highway.
Thank you!!

mdamerell

This time of year I always tried to stay south for the warmer weather.Have not been west of the Mississippi in a few years but 70 use to be better than 80. Personally I'd take 70 to St Louis. Grab a steak or some BBQ on my way through KC and take I-55 north to Chicago from St Louis. Not a real fan of that mess in Chicago so I might look at US-24 across IL and then US-31 north into South Bend, Elkhart area.

Enjoy your trip.

olcoon

We have been to Elkhart twice, once to see our 5er on the assembly line, & once to go to the national rally. The first time we followed map quest & the GPS which took us from KC up to I-80, I will only go that way again if there is no other way to go. Like mdamerell said that mess around Chicago was a nightmare!!! When we went to the rally we went across I-70 all the way until it was time to head north to Goshen. At least in 2011 when we got into IL & IN, I-70 was pretty rough in places, seemed like anytime they had a road repair, there was a bump...and there were a lot of road repairs! While there, you might try the Blue Gate Restaurant in Shipshewana, it's Amish, and very good homestyle food. We had one of our meals at the rally there.

TXTiger

Before I purchased my Cyclone last year, I have rode my Harley across country 2 or 3 times a year taking I-80, I-70 and I-40 both heading west and east to and from San Diego to the east coast. All three are about the same depending on road construction/maintanence in progress at the time of travel. Check the current conditions and scheduled road work for each route (there will be some no matter which) and chose the route with the least construction.