ATF: Landmark - Gray water holding tank vent

johnlance

Due to the freezing temps in Casa Grande, Arizona, I trickeled water from the shower all night and found water leaking from the underbelly and a gray water tank that was full. My question is, "Is the vent pipe glued at the tank or is there some other way for the water to exit the tank when it is OVER full?"

danemayer

Due to the freezing temps in Casa Grande, Arizona, I trickeled water from the shower all night and found water leaking from the underbelly and a gray water tank that was full. My question is, "Is the vent pipe glued at the tank or is there some other way for the water to exit the tank when it is OVER full?"
John,

Sounds like you trickled water with the gray tank valve closed. I'm not sure if the pipe is glued, but it sounds like you're lucky the water went to the underbelly when the tank got full. It would have been much worse if the interior of your RV was flooded. Someone's cat did that to their kitchen and living room a few months ago.

I'm not a fan of the trickling water method. If you leave the tank valve closed, you're almost certain to have a problem. If you have the sewer hose attached and leave the valve open, you're still exposed to an ice dam building up in the sewer hose, filling the tank and flooding the interior. I recently had an ice dam build up from a slight leak out of the black tank valve. No damage - just a pain to get the stinky ice out of the sewer line.

jbeletti

John,

The vent pipe (1.5") that goes up through the roof is glued at the tank. I've never had water come out my roof vent on a gray tank but I have had my shower fill-up the tank for the upstairs.

I have had brackish water come out of my black tank roof vent in my previous demo coach. Brackish water running down the outside of the coach. Yuk!

To my knowledge, there is no other vent on your gray tank. My guess is the tank or the vent connection at the tank has been compromised by the pressure from overfilling for a sustained period. So they tank relieved itself there instead of being able to build enough head-pressure to push it out the roof vent.

That said, if the vent joint on the tank is the issue, you may still be able to use the tank until you can get it repaired. Just don't fill it to the top.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
We have had nightly temps in the 20's and I have been letting the hot side trickle in the bathroom sink with the VALVE OPEN.

It is working well with no ice build up so far. We are warming up to above freezing temps in the daytime which also helps. Trace