Dually Tire Rotation

Rodbuster

I have read on different forums many thoughts and opinions about rotating, not rotating and which tires to put where if you do decide to rotate your dually tires.
One post from a gentleman that I found interesting stated that he only rotated his fromt tires (side to side) every 10,000 miles. He didn't do anything with the dual rear tires. His reasoning was that it was just a little more expensive to replace the front tires a little more often than to rotate all 6 tires. If he had to rotate all 6 tires there would be an added expense to break down some tires because some of the wheels are not the same.

How do you dually people handle this situation?

Thank you
Dick

Owenfamily

Hello Dick,

Yes you should rotate your tires like you do on every other vehicle. On my dually I take the front and have them go in the back. I take the inner rears and move them up front. Any discount tire company knows how to do this. Some dually trucks are harder to do then other. On some trucks they have to break down each tire and to rotate them. On my truck you can just take the rim and tire and move them anywhere. It just really depends on your rims for the most part. The front tires on the dually takes a beating from the heavy engine weight and that is one good reason to rotate the tire plus it will help all them wear even.
Have a great day!
David

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I agree with David. I have the tires rotated regularly at any Goodyear Dealer. Tires are Firestone but purchased at Goodyear with the free rotate and balance package. With my Chevy, all the wheels are useable at any position so it's not a big deal. Only problem I had once was they didn't line up the inner valve stem properly so they had to resolve that right away.

hoefler

Here in the Ozarks where have very straight and flat roads, NOT! If you don't rotate, you will have less than the expected life in your tires. I have rotated all my dually's. One truck was rear inners to the front, front X-ed to the rear inners, and swapped side to side on the outers. Had black wall tires, had decent tire wear. On the second and the current truck, first rotation was right rear to the front and the front to the right rear. Second rotation was front to left rear, and left rear to the front. Then alternate back on the third rotation, and so on. I get very even tire wear this way. Since I have raised white letters, I have to have 2 tires broken down and flipped to keep them black out when rotated. I have a 4 x 4, and down here, tire wear is a challenge. My dually is my daily driver for work and play, I adjust my tire pressure for the task at hand. 80 psi if the front all the time. With the Landmark in tow, 80 psi in the rears. When at home and dragging my 16' enclosed trailer for work 40 psi in the rears. Very comfortable ride when bob tailing and exceptional all around tire wear.

Vtxkid

I'll third that! I have the same problem as Duane with the rims too, but I also use Dyna beads in all 6 tires which is suppose to discourage any abnormal wear to my tires. The front tires might wear a little quicker due to the weight of the front of the truck but the rears should last considerably longer!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC

jayandhisgals

One more for don't rotate. Too much trouble to break the tires down to switch rims. Havn't noticed much loss due to uneven ware. Front's need to be replaced a little sooner then the rear. Usually about 6 mths or so. But who wants to buy all 6 tires at the same time?

rick_debbie_gallant

Rotate every 6000 miles. Free tire rotation and balancing with certificates at discount tire. Also free tire repair or Replacement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mattpopp

Trouble Maker
I don't either. Not worth the added cost when you have 3 pairs of different rims.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 3 HD

SilverRhino

My rims are all the same......rotation is free......Yes I rotate, every 5-7k . Have always done this so I really don't know if it helps with wear, but to me, it just seems that it would....especially with the heavy diesel motor in the front end as others have mentioned.

lwmcguir

We typically rotate at 20K, just two much time and wear and tear to do it at 5-7K but then we drive a lot of miles. Get decent wear doing this and if they needed rotated quicker I suspect we would have a balance or alignment issue.