propane regulator question

I have a 2012 Heartland North trail with two 20lb tanks. What position do I want to have the regulator in so that it will switch tanks when one goes empty?

danemayer

Hi mattman1974,

I think all our rigs have auto-changeover type regulators and if both tanks are full, it doesn't matter which way you point it. You would just point it to whichever tank you want to use first. When that tank gets near empty, the auto-changeover automatically switches to the other tank.

The pointer is used to decide which tank to use first, and to allow you to disconnect the other tank for refilling.

Vtxkid

The bottle that you turn your valve towards is at that time your service bottle. When the pressure drops, the regulator will switch over automatically. Once your ready to fill the empty bottle, switch over the regulator first to make the full bottle your service bottle.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC

traveler44

On mine I point the green dot end towards one bottle first and open the valves on both. When the first bottle is empty the dot in the middle of the regulator will turn red, that way I know the first bottle is empty. I turn the green dot end of the regulator towards bottle number two and close the valve on number one and remove it and get it filled. Then install number one and open the valve again but I just keep using number two until the dot turns red. My regulator makes a high pitched hum when the gas is going through it but it still seems to work okay.

Rodbuster

I've done as much research as I could, and I'm still stumped.
I "think" that I have a regulator problem. I can only get propane from the driver's side of my Key Largo. I've tried opening the valve reeeal slooow...didn't work. I switched the actual tank from the passenger side to the driver's side and everything worked fine again. Just can't get the passenger side to work.

I've decided to replace the regulator unless someone has a better idea. My dilemma now is....which regulator?
I've come across 3 different regulators in my search for the right and/or better one for my unit.
The one that I have on my unit now is the;
Fairview 8EA9 2 way Automatic Changeover

Another one that I found was the;
Marshall 254 Two-Tank Regulator

The third is a;
Fairview GR-9984-A regulator

I plan on calling customer service Monday morning to see what they have to say but I've seen so much "gas" on this forum, I thought I'd give you fellas a shot at it. lol

One last note....where should I purchase this unit and should I replace the tubing also??? I never looked at the tubing that goes across the RV to the passenger side. Hope that isn't too much of a problem to replace.

I've met a few of you that I would think are experts on "gas". Let's see what happens.

Thank you.
Dick

danemayer

Dick, I've got a similar problem; insufficient propane flow from the doorside. I've had the same problem before and fixed it with regulator and pigtail. I replaced the regulator on that side today, and planned to also replace the pigtail to the tank, but had the wrong size. It's not fixed and now I have to find a new pigtail with the right fittings.

If that doesn't fix it, my next step will be a new auto-changeover regulator on the other side. If that doesn't fix it, I'll have to get a new hose that runs across the rig.

The alternative to trial and error would be to have a tech measure the gas pressure at each point to find out where the restriction is.

brianharrison

I have the same problem right now - I was going to replace the door side (passenger) regulator. Does it have a different regulated setting? I know the final regulator after the switchover valve regulates to 11"WC (required supply pressure for most LP devices).

I would think it should be set about 15-20psi but that is just a guess right now.

Brian

Last edited:

danemayer

You want the "red" single stage high pressure regulator. It think it steps the tank pressure down to 30 psi before it goes through the front of the RV. Here's one on Ebay. Here's Tweetys. I was told today by the RV dealer in Kerrville that Marshall has gone out of business, which may explain why Camping World was out and Tweetys was out.

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders
OK, you all got me straight on my heat/ac thermostat issue so now I've got another "question." I think my auto-switch over valve is not working properly on my new camper. On all the old camper's I've had with the auto switch over, when the "in use" tank was empty and the regulator switch over to the other tank, I could look at the valve it would show red. That told me the "in use" tank was empty and the system was now pulling from the other tank. Real easy to understand. I'd just flip the regulator switch to the "other" tank making it now, the "in use" tank. Then take the empty tank to be filled. However with this new system I only see a half-bar of red. I don't know if that means my "in use" tank is half full or that the entire system is half full. If it's the entire system, I need to fill the "in use" bottle. I have not run out of gas yet so I'm not sure what I should see. I just don't want to run out when I least expect it. Any thoughts??

danemayer

Hi Klindgren,

My guess would be that the indicator either isn't calibrated correctly to show the entire red strip. So I'd start with the assumption that if it changed to 1/2 red, it means that one tank is empty and it switched over.

It could be that there's a malfunction and it's actually stuck. If that theory were correct, you could test the theory by weighing the tanks. If the regulator is ok, one tank should weigh empty and the other one almost full.

ParkIt

Kilndgren,
We had the same issue the first time we took ours out. What seemed to correct it was closing both tank valves, removing the tanks and having them both filled, re-install and turn on both valves. The half bar of red disappeared (meaning both tanks were full) and it would gradually creep the red bar when one of the tanks was getting low and switch over to the full tank when one was empty. I'm not sure if it reset it or the pressure forced the bar meter to finally work properly...I'll never know on that one.

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders
Kilndgren,
We had the same issue the first time we took ours out. What seemed to correct it was closing both tank valves, removing the tanks and having them both filled, re-install and turn on both valves. The half bar of red disappeared (meaning both tanks were full) and it would gradually creep the red bar when one of the tanks was getting low and switch over to the full tank when one was empty. I'm not sure if it reset it or the pressure forced the bar meter to finally work properly...I'll never know on that one.
Thanks ParkIt. I've been toying with the idea of doing just that. Now that I've heard of your experience, that's what I'll do before I head out on Wednesday.