Missouri to Northern California

RayDeez

Hi,
I'm planning to pull a 26 foot travel trailer from Missouri to Northern California. I've made the trip numerous times via I40 and know the route well. However, I'm really unfamiliar with the grades along I80. Did you make your trip and how many steep grades did you encounter on I 80 from Wyoming through to California?

DuaneG

I have driven I-80 California through Nevada and have not seen to high a grade, but not sure east of that. Just keep an eye on weather and road conditions to make sure there are no closures. Some of the side roadways can be tight when pulling a trailer.

jayandhisgals

Not sure exactly how many high grades between Mo and Ca but trust me there is a ton (especially Colorado)! Really long big pulls going that way. We were just in Northern Ca. last fall, we live just south of Springfield Mo. It's a long hard route. Our new 2012 Minivan had a hard time on some of the climbs. If you can avoid it, I would.

rarnold

Welcome to the forum, RayDeez. You just tapped in to a LOT of great people with a ton of experience and knowledge. Re: I-80, we drove from Sacramento to Gillette, Wy last year. I only recall two grades. The Donner summit west of Reno which can be closed from snow in a blink if a storm comes through, and east of Salt Lake City where I had to do some climbing. Don't know about SLC mountains but in winter, you better check ahead on snow conditions and in-coming storms.
Good luck and safe travels to you.

Rod

TXTiger

I-80 between Wyoming and Utah east of Salt Lake City has some hills but if you stay on the highway you will be ok. Also as you travel from Nevada to Calif and from Tahoe to Sacramento there are some hills. I have driven and rode my Harley thru there many times and last summer pulled my Cyclone on the same route. Check out the weather conditions this time of year. I have had to stop in Cheyene or Laramie due to snow. You may also look out for snow east of Salt Lake City and again at Tahoe Calif.