Noise when heater come on

JohnnyR

2012 Cyclone 3950HD. Right after gas heater ignites, there is a roaring noise for about 3 to 5 secondss. Noise stops for 5-10 seconds then does it again for 3-5 seconds. It is as if the heater goes into a turbo mode, for lack of a better description, for these brief periods. Heater works fine. Checked outside for blockage of vents on the heater and no blockage. Is this common for this brand heater (Suburban)? Always had an Atwood before and did not ever hear this noise.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I don't think that's normal. The burner is either on or off. It should not pulsate. Mine never has.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Welcome to the forum! Another Texan!

When Ours (2010 ElkRidge) clicks on, the fan is blowing, then after about 5-10 seconds, we hear a low "rumble" for about 2-3 seconds, then the furnace is slightly louder than before, for the entire time it runs. I seem to recall occasionally we get the rumble twice.

Sorry, I cannot tell you if what you are hearing is "normal".

Erika

JohnnyR

Thanks for replies. Erika, the rumbling is what am hearing. As for normal, at least I'm not the only one experiencing it.

danemayer

2012 Cyclone 3950HD. Right after gas heater ignites, there is a roaring noise for about 3 to 5 secondss. Noise stops for 5-10 seconds then does it again for 3-5 seconds. It is as if the heater goes into a turbo mode, for lack of a better description, for these brief periods. Heater works fine. Checked outside for blockage of vents on the heater and no blockage. Is this common for this brand heater (Suburban)? Always had an Atwood before and did not ever hear this noise.

A screeching or howling noise can be an indicator that the burner needs to be adjusted. Too much air = noise. Too little = soot.

hoefler

Go outside and see if the exhaust stays hot or it cools off when it is running. If it gets warm/hot then goes cold, the burner is not staying lit. You may have a blockage in the burner chamber causing it to overheat or blocking the flame sensor. If you don't have screens on your furnace vents, you may have unwanted tenant that has built a nest in there.

brianharrison

Barring any nests/easy answers - sometimes the sail switch or limit switch are intermittent faulty and can cycle the burner. In any event - doesn't sound like it's operating normal and should be checked.

Brian

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
FWIW, ours doesn't sound like a "problem". It's always done it, so I figured it was normal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk