Surge Protection in BH 301RE

Phatkd

So I was talking with "Cookie" last night. He has convinced me that I need surge protection in my rig. I would like to have some sort of display where I can see what is going on IE; how many amps/watts I am drawing and any faults that are oucuring. Does anyone have any knowledge of a unit that does that? Going to need a 50amp unit and would like it all hard wired.

Cheers,.Kris

Phatkd

Thanks guys! I will order one up in the next few weeks. How hard/easy is the install? I have ZERO experience with wiring.

brianharrison

I would suggest you have someone help that has some wiring/electrical knowledge to assist. It is not too hard, just need to have some smarts on cutting wires, stripping the right amount of insulation back, re-terminating correctly, etc. Working with 6/3 wire can be frustrating as it is a bit hard to work with/bend around and terminate inside the EMS while also installing the current rings. My experience. It is important to get it right.

Hope this helps.
Brian

Phatkd

Helps a pile! I will buy the unit and have the dealership install it for me. The charge a $200 premium for that unit if I buy it through them. This way I am only paying for the install which is still $140/hr.

jnbhobe

I think I'll 5th it, we are all useing the Progressive EMS when you install it make sure to move it away from all water. I got a piece of 6/4 SO cable to install mine, no cutting then.

Garypowell

I just installed one in my 3010 between yesterday and today. Probably can't go into too much detail with my index finger but........

I could not get to the wire via the basement. So I looked at the plug area in the back.

First don't take off the plastic panel that you can see when you sit under the slide out looking aft. You can see the back of the plug and wire as it goes into the frame but that's all.

Get on your back and slice the plastic underbelly material and start to pull it down. The back legs will be in the way but you can work around them.

Once open enough you can reach up and pull the wire down enough to cut it (use hack saw) and then splice in the wire that goes to he device.

I decided to put the device in the cabinet by the couch. So I drilled a pilot hole to figure out where I was and then enlarged it.

I purchased 12 feet of SO #6/4 wire. Or #6 size with three conductors and one ground. The only problem was that the ground was #6 too. This is too big to use on the device but you can cut away some of the strands and it will be ok and small enough to fit. But the nice thing is this wire is VERY FLEXIBLE.

I simply pushed both bitter ends down the hole and spliced wire color for wire color laying under the unit.

I bought what were called 'gutter taps". These allow you to easily splice big wires with a plastic covered Allen screw system. You'll have to see one to understand.

Once this was done I cut the wire up in the coach with a hack saw and installed it per instructions. I called the factory twice to be sure. Fired up the generator in the back of the truck and NO SMOKE!

today I ran it again before I pushed the wire up into the bottom, sealed the hole in the cabinet, and coiled up the wire in the cabinet. I ran the data cable via the TV/sterio holes. At some point I'll put a shelf in to retrieve some of the cabinet space.

I suppose I could have hidden the gizmo in the underbelly with more work but figured that if something breaks on the unit I would want to be able to get to it quickly.

others might have a better solution.

Gary

rick_debbie_gallant

Put ours in last summer with the help of "HASTEY" (thanks Rex). Last night it tripped 5 times because of low voltage. This morning was twice and on Tuesday another three times because of low voltage. Would rather have no power than low power.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

happykraut

I agree with Jon. I put mine behind the wall which is very easy to remove. Added a short piece(approx. 4') of cable between the EMS and the breaker panel. That way I can very easily put it back to original when I sell the rig. I mounted the readout on the side of my bedroom step. If I had no electrical experience at all, I would probably get a little help with the wiring. And yes, Progressive HW/50 is the way to go.

Phatkd

Thanks for all the advice guys. If I was to tackle this by myself,..do any of you with the 3010RE have any pics of the installed location? I am nervous about cutting up the underbelly. I was thinking of having the unit mounted behind the basement wall and the remote readout up in the light switch and slide out switch location in the 3010.

Thanks,..Kris

EandJ

So for us little 30-amp guys, is the corresponding EMS-HW30C the way to go?

Anybody installed it on a NT 31QBSS yet?

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
It sure is!! I wouldn't recommend being without a quality surge protector. One time hooking up with bad power (spikes, too high, too low, etc..) can be very costly.

So for us little 30-amp guys, is the corresponding EMS-HW30C the way to go?

Anybody installed it on a NT 31QBSS yet?

TedS

I mounted my readout in the basement wall near the curb side cargo door. I just open that door to see the readout.