Lippert axle bearing maintenance

rpkeida

Alaska Wilderness
Heartland, My owner's manual for my 2008 Bighorn 09162 just notes a "6 month" time interval check for the wheel bearings. Since I am an advocate for "preventive" maintenance, I would like to know if there is a mileage criteria for greasing the bearings or if it is just based on a calendar time? What is the recommended grease, Lithium, marine, or any standard wheel bearing grease? Thanks for the response. Rich Keida, Willow, Alaska:)

Scott

The good news is - for advocates of preventative maintenance such as yourself, you don't have to depend on pencil-pushing (more like keystroke pushing these days..) office dwellers like myself for your answers. I really don't know that answer to your questions - but I am going to tell you that I think I did a pretty good job of putting the phone number of your axle manufacturer in your owners manual and/or unit papers. They can go over in detail exactly when, and what type of lubricant is best for your particular axles.
Sorry.
ST

vrugt

Sbs

Is it possible and recommendable to replace the existing Bighorn bearings with LCI's SBS bearings? The bearings are documented at Lippert's website http://www.lci1.com/Service%20Owners%20Manuals/Trailer%20Axle/Sealed%20Bearing-Web.pdf

For those of you interested in the answer from Lippert (there was none from Heartland):
No, this is not possible as one is a straight spindle and the other a
tapered spindle. If you wanted to buy all new axles it could be done but
not practical.

John Carpenter

John Carpenter
Lippert Axle Warranty
574-971-4928

Last edited:

rpkeida

Alaska Wilderness
Lippert wheel bearing info

Thanks Scott! The info I needed was found on the Lippert components website - the entire service/owners manual for their product was available for download. Thanks again for the quick response:)