Generator Install

HornedToad

2013HEARTLANDTORQUE 3215SFCG3824DE260830

My toyhauler did not come with a generator, but is pre-wired and has a fuel cell.

Found a great deal on an Onan 5500 HGJAB on eBay that I am going to install with the help of my friend who manages a equip rental co and works on heavy equip. In other words I'll be helping him.

In doing my homework, one thing I could not figure out was why I had two fuel lines run to the generator box and only one fuel inlet on the generator.

I think I finally found the answer.

Please see the attached Onan Spec sheet and confirm my assumptions...

There are two fuel lines because some models have a fuel return ie the 5.5 HGJAA,
but the 5.5 HGJAB model I bought only needs a fuel supply.

So I only need to hook up the 1/4 in hose and leave the screw in the 5/16 hose?

View attachment Onan Specs.pdf

danemayer

Hi mbowden,

I don't see the attachment and don't know the answer. Just wanted to point out that the HGJAB comes in several models. Some gas, some LP. Hopefully you're getting the one you want.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
Mike... The way I read the spec sheet you are correct. I have no experience with Onan but it looks pretty straight forward.
Someone with more expertise will probably chime in soon.

Good Luck.

porthole

Retired
The clue is in the spec for the HGJAA - "SPI" single point injection. Most fuel injected engines have a return line to the tank to keep fuel flowing and from overheating in the fuel pump.

rumaco

US Army Retired (CW4)
I purchased two Yamaha 2000 and link together and run everything I need..........................guess if you need more go for it!

sjs731

I also use 2 2000 watt Yamahas. When we don't need both we only run one. They are very easy on gas too.

Sent from my iPad mini using Tapatalk

HornedToad

I purchased two Yamaha 2000 and link together and run everything I need..........................guess if you need more go for it!

We dry camp a lot at a local lake and during the heat of summer in West Texas 100 degree days are pretty common. The single 15000 BTU AC in my old travel trailer could not keep up, so when we got the toyhauler the first thing my wife insisted on was two AC's = a 5500 watt generator.