Drivers side regulator leaking

sdrubrecht

The red regulator on my driver side propane line is leaking. No one local has one. The service guy at my local independent repair place says I dont need it. What say you? What purpose does this serve? Can I just replumb the lines without it or should I keep searching for a replacement? Last thing I want to do is start a fire or blow something/someone up.

robnmo

The red regulator on my driver side propane line is leaking. No one local has one. The service guy at my local independent repair place says I dont need it. What say you? What purpose does this serve? Can I just replumb the lines without it or should I keep searching for a replacement? Last thing I want to do is start a fire or blow something/someone up.

Ours was leaking around the body, we replaced it, also replaced the OEM main regulator a few months later. No problem since.

danemayer

Hi Steve,

I'm not an expert on this, so I could be wrong but I think you've received some bad advice. I'm pretty sure removing the regulator creates a safety issue. RVIA docs say: "If debris obstructs the working mechanism of the regulator, high-pressure LP gas may pass directly into your appliances. Both possibilities create substantial safety problems." I'm pretty sure removing the regulator would be equivalent to it having an obstructed mechanism that passes LP at tank pressure, instead of at reduced pressure.

Another way to look at this is manufacturing cost. If the regulator was not really needed, do you think that ANY RV manufacturer would waste money putting one there?

Until you can replace the regulator, I'd suggest switching tanks manually, even though you'll have to lug them around.

crazybanshee

The service guy was right. You can bypass it till you get a replacement. Factory puts a reg on the drivers side so you do not have high pressure LP running through the front part of your trailer per manufacture code. I have used a coupler to bypass mine out on camping trips.
Doug

sdrubrecht

Thanks for all the advice. Did a quick internet search and found that a regulator for a turkey fryer should do the trick. Regulates down to 10lb, has the right threads so I wont need any adapters.Got it at my local Home Depot for less than $20. At that price I can put a another in the spare parts kit.