LP Regulator Auto Changeover manual

Does anyone have the manual for this Auto Changeover regulator (I hope the thumbnail shows up - my first time posting an attachment)? It says "TPA ACR-2" on it, but has been listed on the forum as Camco 59003" and is noted as discontinued. TPA looks to be a Taiwanese/Chinese company and they have ACR6 listed on their web site that looks pretty much the same as mine, except the red color. My unit has an adjustment under the black screw-on cover that I am interested to know how it functions. Thanks.

Attachments

• TPA-ACR-2.jpg
    TPA-ACR-2.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 280

dbbls59

I've never seen a manual for one of these. The operation is pretty simple. Connect both tanks to the system. Open the valve on one propane tank and turn the lever toward that tank. Open the valve on the second tank and when the first runs out, it will automatically switch to the second tank and the window will turn red. When you see the red window, turn the manual lever to the second tank and get the first refilled. Hook it back up, open the valve and you are set until the second tank runs out, then repeat the procedure.

The reason I was looking for a manual is the indicator is red with both tanks full and I was hoping a manual might shed light on the function of proper adjustment of the screw that is below the black screw-on cap.

I've never seen a manual for one of these. The operation is pretty simple. Connect both tanks to the system. Open the valve on one propane tank and turn the lever toward that tank. Open the valve on the second tank and when the first runs out, it will automatically switch to the second tank and the window will turn red. When you see the red window, turn the manual lever to the second tank and get the first refilled. Hook it back up, open the valve and you are set until the second tank runs out, then repeat the procedure.

danemayer

Hi Bill,

I've posted the manual for my regulator to the manuals section of the Forum. It's not the same as yours, but which provides basic info. No adjustments are shown. However, if yours is adjustable, the adjustment is likely to adjust gas flow to the output side.

There are clearly both reliability and safety issues involved with adjusting the LP regulator. If I had experience with these adjustments, and the required test equipment to do it right, I'd be comfortable adjusting the regulator. But since I don't have either, this is an area where my DW would not want me running experiments.

dbbls59

I thought mine was red too with both tanks hooked up. I could see a little red in the window. When my first tank ran out, it was very red. Close the tank you are using and turn the furnace on. You will see what I mean. It is probably working like it is suppose to. It looks a little different than the Marshall regulators did.

donr827

I thought mine was red too with both tanks hooked up. I could see a little red in the window. When my first tank ran out, it was very red. Close the tank you are using and turn the furnace on. You will see what I mean. It is probably working like it is suppose to. It looks a little different than the Marshall regulators did.

Same for my regulater. It shows a slight red color until it is empty and then turns bright red when empty.
Don

Bob Vaughn

The reason I was looking for a manual is the indicator is red with both tanks full and I was hoping a manual might shed light on the function of proper adjustment of the screw that is below the black screw-on cap.
That is what mine did so I replaced it with one that has a better red/green indicator. Mine has never shown green and as we almost never use the propane I was suprised when I checked mine and it showed red. I took the "EMPTY" one over to Flying J and the guy picked it up to put it on the scale to fill it and proclaimed that it was not empty so I told him to top it off. It only took 4 gallons, it still had 3-1/2 gallons in it so I took it home and took the other one off and weighed it and it was full also. So I went to Camping World. I feel that this switch over was an inferior product from the get go and Heartland should recall them or offer compensation when owners have had to replace theirs.
Now mine is different from the one shown on the manual page but like the one shown in the photo of the orig. poster only with a white plastic cover over it and the regulator is white.

Last edited:

slb5146

Thank you dbbls59. Your method to test that the regulator is working is perfect. I could see a little red in mine and I was not sure if it had switched. I turned off the valve of the tank I was using and lite one burner on the stove. I ran outside and watched the little window on the regulator and sure enough in less than 30 seconds it changed to TOTAL RED. Now I KNOW it's working and switched automatically to the other tank. I slowly turned on the tank valve and the red slid down out of sight. What a relief to know how to KNOW when my tank is empty. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you. --Steve Brown

jimtoo

Hi Steve,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and hopefully to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

That is what the Heartland Owners Forum is about, helping each other with hints, repairs and support.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

MysticTuba

Hi, Newbie here. Since this is a regulator thread I thought I'd throw my question in here. How do I tell if my regulator is an auto-changeover or not? The way I am using it, I have one tank turned on and the other off. When the first runs out, I go outside and flip the lever to the other one and turn it on. Then I can take the empty one to get it filled. But I just learned that there are auto-changeover regulators that will switch automatically (like in the middle of a shower, which would be nice) and change the display. I replaced the regulator last summer but don't even know if it is auto-changeover or not. I paid about $50 for it. I'd be very willing to cough up for yet another one if it would save me running out of hot water during a shower.
Thanks people!

jimtoo

Hi MysticTuba,
Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.
You are on the right thread now for instructions... see post #2 above. The only thing you need to be careful of is when you open your tank valve, do it very slowly because the tanks have a built in check valve incase of ruptured line it will shut off propane flow if more than normal is flowing.
Jim M

danemayer

Hi mystictuba,

Auto-changeover sounds good. Then one cold night you find out that it works so well you didn't realize that you now have 2 empty tanks.

noel1955

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--> I have an auto change over regulator running fryers of it. Do you need a low-pressure regulator as well?
<!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman";} </style> <![endif]-->

danemayer

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--> I have an auto change over regulator running fryers of it. Do you need a low-pressure regulator as well?
<!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman";} </style> <![endif]-->

Hi noel1955,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. Can you explain more about your setup and what type of cooker/grill you've got hooked up.

TXTiger

I saw an add for Camping World that they have a an inline gage for the propane supply. Does anyone have on of these and would you recommend it? It would be nice to know how much propane remains in the tank instead of relying on a fed/green indicator.

I found this site by searching for the model number "MH19533" and the word "manual". If have since found my manual so figured I'd share it here. Attached is the manual that came with my regulator ordered from Amazon in spring, 2021. Photo of my regulator (cover removed, not installed) is also also attached. Good luck!

Attachments

• ACR2 Automatic Changeover Regulator.pdf
    695.3 KB · Views: 13
  • 20210716_185420214_iOS.jpg
    20210716_185420214_iOS.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 13