2008 Landmark Cape Cod, looking to purchase

G_Hage

First I wish to say greetings to all, we just joined the forums today. Looking forward to reading and learning more about the Heartland's Landmark product line here from actual owners.

With that said, after two years of researching manufacturers, months of looking at used Tetons, DRV, Newmar,and Excel models all over the country, we have found an exceptionally clean 2008 Landmark Cape Cod right in our home area. We have placed a deposit on it based on the dealer's photos and description of the unit and will be doing a walk through Monday before making the final decision to purchase this unit. We have looked at the construction of Heartland's product line and find it well within our comfort zone on construction, full timer's durability, etc.

Interesting note on the floorplan. This unit has the refrig/freezer at the stair end of the slide rather than next to the TV area as shown on the brochures of any of the other Cape Cods. This makes us wonder if this was a custom order and build change? We like that configuration very much. We checked all other 2007-2009 Landmark floorplans to see if the model name was listed incorrectly by the dealer. None like it came up. Otherwise this unit has what appears to be the standard Cape Cod decor and cabinetry accents.

We feel very confident we will in fact be buying this unit, but would really appreciate any help and/or advice on the pros and the cons related to the Cape Cods, plus anything in particular we should be taking an especially hard look at, especially where there may have been (if any) problems in the past with the 2008's.

Thanks to all,

Gary & Shawna

hoefler

You might check previous years for the floor plan. We have an 2006 Mt. Rushmore, the floor plan is the same as an 2005, and does not match the 2006 data. We had checked the title and the manufacture with the VIN to verify the year.

G_Hage

We are going to call Heartland in the morning and request the original build order on the unit. We always like to know exactly what options and upgrades were put into a fiver we are considering. I'm also hopeful they can provide us the data on any warranty work that may have been done. Dealers don't always have a full history on used units taken in on trade our that they bought outright. We like to be informed buyers before we put the money on the table!

jimtoo

Hi Gary and Shawna,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and hopefully to the family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

Enjoy the forum and let us know what you find.

Jim M

ihsolutions

Before you purchase, I would take a look at the slide out floor edges from the outside to make sure they have not absorbed water. This particular model was built before Heartland started using a drip edge kit and this has been an area of concern for some people. Of course, I'd look any used unit over very carefully before buying but just wanted to point this out in particular. Good luck!

G_Hage

Well folks, we are now officially part of the Landmark family. What the dealer was listing as a Cape Cod is in fact the Mount Rushmore Suite according to my contact person at Heartland. Although it is titled as a 2008, the build date is actually middle 2006. I though Landmarks were being built on Lippert 12" I-beam (lower section) frames, but this unit is on a 10". I assume this was the norm for Landmark during 2006 builds? Ten inch would not have been my preference in frames but I trust this shall be sufficient for our needs. We only plan to transport the unit seasonally workamping.

If the previous owner is a member here or you know anything about this particular unit Pin #1909, any information you could provide would be of great help as we prepare to move into our new to us Fiver. I'm very curious to know what problems may have been common with this particular floorplan, etc so that we can be checking for unseen issues or potential for issues. Having gone meticulously over every inch of this unit all appears to be in good order with the exception off a minor leak around the threshold of the entry door at appears to be an easy fix.

I will note here, whomever owner this unit also added an outside security camera trained on the front door with the monitor located upstairs in the bedroom. Plus had four solar panels and an inverter installed which we found interesting. Since there is a small refrig in the wash/dryer area, we have to wonder if the solar panels were to also insure power for the smaller refrig to keep medications cold in the event of power loss and while traveling.

We are very excited about taking delivery of this unit and are hoping it will serve us well for many years!