Heat duct in storage area

chardel

I took off all of the heat & air conditioner registers today to clean them out if needed and check to make sure all were open and not blocked in any way. Most were pretty good - a few upturned pieces of alum. tape which I put down and a few places to add additional alum. duct tape and a little sawdust in the heat ducts. When I went to the register in the storage area and took it off there was no duct work leading to it. I was wondering if all are like that or is there supposed to be a hose coming from the heater to the storage area and one just did not get put on?

Pulltab

The vent you are referring to I believe is not suppose to have a duct connected to it. It is there just to allow air to circulate into the basement area.

Congrats on the new rig. :)

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Pulltab is correct. There is no duct to that vent. I'm not even sure how effective it is for circulation because the dividing wall is open at the top of the joists anyway. :confused:

If the register you are refering to is on the felt covered wall, it is for air to get to your convertor to prevent over-heating.

chardel

Thanks for the replys. Yes, it is the one on the felt covered wall right next to the vac. unit. There were a bunch of wires and a 4" flex tube going by to somewhere else inside the hole when I removed the register. I guess it is nothing to be concerned about.

There are two 4" flex hoses behind that wall. One hooks to a metal duct built into bath floor to supply heat to the register beside the bed. The other (the one you are seeing), goes to the register in the stool room.
There is also a 2" flex hose that goes into the chassis to heat the underbelly.

khd995

Where and or what does the 2" hose connect to, I was just underneath mine and saw this 2" hose, It was just laying there near one of the plumbing pipes . Shouldn't it be connected to something.

Pulltab

Well, you would like to see that but I don't believe any manufacturer does any more than that. I am currently working underneath mine and what I am going to do is run a 2" pvc line the lenght of the rv and cap the far end and connect the other end to the pvc line. Then I can drill holes to direct the heat at the tanks to ensure I get heating where I want it. In other words I am using the pvc as a duct line. I am also going to insulate around the out side of the tanks if they are near the chassis, for example we have a galley tank at the rear of our rv and I see no reason to leave it un insulated to be exposed to the cold that close to the frame member.

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
pulltab,
I think it would be important to ground that PVC tube that you will be using as a duct. Otherwise you will build-up alot of static electricity and could cause an unwanted reaction of sorts.

WRIGHT ll

retired Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
Yes, that little louvered cover is only for ventilation and not a heat source. The service tech who installed our surge suppressor installed it behind that cover and I can look in and see the red operating lights. I thought that was kinda' neat.

ChopperBill

Pulltab said:
Well, you would like to see that but I don't believe any manufacturer does any more than that.
PT, out Snowriver truck camper has 3 separate ducts going to different areas in the basement of the camper. There are five going to different areas in the living area and as they travel up to the cab over they are perforated in the closets to keep your dainties nice and warm. Those folks now how to build a TC!
I relocated the converter to near the register in the storage bay. Didn't look like it would get much are covered up in all the stuff where it was.