Propane Issue: What do you think happened?

traveler44

I woke up this morning and the temperature was only 71* and the furnace was set for 75*. I checked the regulator on the lp bottles and the dot in the middle was red and the arrow was pointing to the right. Both tanks valves were open. So I figured I must be out of gas. I took the strap off of the tanks and started to pick up the one on the right but I could tell it was near full so I picked up the other one and it was empty. So I removed the empty one and hooked the full one back up and turned the gas back on very slowly- Now the dot in the middle turned to green and the furnace is putting out heat again. Do you think I need a new regulator or do you think something else happened that won't happen very often? Thanks Tom

traveler44

Re: What do you think happened?

I talked to the folks at the office about getting my empty tabk filled and they said that you have to tap a full tank against the ground sometimes before they will work. I suppose I tapped the full tank against the compartment a little when I started to yank it out and found out it was still full. I had never heard of doing this before but it must have something to do with getting the tank working instead of getting the regulator working. Thanks Tom

danemayer

What do you think happened?

If I understand, the regulator was pointed at the full tank, but the other tank ran out and the regulator didn't switch over.

Sounds like maybe the full tank was blocked from previously opening the valve too fast.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

traveler44

Thanks Dan! I think you are probably right. It is nice to know that I probably won't need a new regulator anyway. Tom

danemayer

This just occurred to me: I think you could test the regulator by starting with both tanks open and then close the one the regulator is pointing at. If it switches over to the other tank, you're ok that way. Then reverse the arrow setting, open the tank you closed, and turn off the other tank to see if it switches back.

If you try it, please post the results. Maybe this would be a simple way to verify the auto-changeover operation.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator

This just occurred to me: I think you could test the regulator by starting with both tanks open and then close the one the regulator is pointing at. If it switches over to the other tank, you're ok that way. Then reverse the arrow setting, open the tank you closed, and turn off the other tank to see if it switches back.

If you try it, please post the results. Maybe this would be a simple way to verify the auto-changeover operation.
Tom, Dan has a good idea here but when you turn off the valve to test the regulator and it's switching, you'll have to have the stove burner going or something to relieve the pressure in that line.
I agree with Dan's initial assessment though, the safety feature built into the LP bottle valve probably prevented the tank from being used. When you started to remove the tank by closing, disconnecting then reattaching the tank, reset it. Opening slowly each time is pretty important.

olcoon

Bob,
Did I leave my jinx with you when we left? We had to get propane this morning also. Just before we left we saw you getting the new tank. We are now in OK, and it's still cold. We'll be in TX tomorrow, & hopefully warmer weather! Glad to hear you got your heat going again!

57chevyconvt

South Texas weather has been Beautiful the past few days, day time temps in the low 70's here in Victoria.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders

It's been nice in Mission too, 84 yesterday, cooler 79 today.

htneighbors

Unbelievably Blessed!
What do you think happened?

Currently 4 degrees in lovely Chicago!
Headed to a mere 1 for the low tonite.

traveler44

That sounds like a good idea. I was thinking that I should wait until it warms up to test the regulator but it might be a good idea to find out if it is going to fail to switch because of the cold so I will check it out later this afternoon. I will post what I find out. Just a few weeks ago there was a high pitched whine coming from the tank-regulator area when gas was being drawn for an appliance running. That noise was loud enough to be heard from inside the Bighorn but it has quieted down a lot now. Tom

happykraut

Currently 4 degrees in lovely Chicago!
Headed to a mere 1 for the low tonite.

14.5 here in St. Charles. Oops, it just dropped a 1/10 as I was typing this. A little over a week and we'll be in Texas.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
And last night, I was working a diesel spill on the freeway (county HazMat). Wind chill was near -28F. Sure do appreciate UnderArmor socks and flannel jeans.