A final weight question.....

oscar

Getting closer to getting the Truck Camper and the 5ver Toy Hauler. Got the hitch installed, the tiedowns bolted on.... we're ready to go.
(No, we will not be using both at the same time.....)

A question about weight.

GVWR for the vehicle is 13000#

Empty weight on the registration is 7794#

The difference is 5206# One would think this to be available payload, BUT:

There is a sticker in the door frame that says:"The combined weight of occupants and cargo should never exceed 4892#"

So, I'm being shorted 5206-4892=314#....

Now, the way I read that limitation it does not include fuel. And, 36 gallons of fuel at 7.2 ppg is about 262#

Sooo....as long as the fuel is not considered payload, it can be added to the empty weight, and then I have about the full 4892 available to me, to stay under the 13000# GVWR.....

I'm thinking they weighed it at the factory with an empty tank......

Does that sound right?

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Sounds about right. Basically, the max gvwr rating includes everything in the truck including fuel, people, pets, cargo, camper, empty water bottles on the floor, stuff in the glove box and console. :p

berky

I seriuously doubt that weight information for each and every vehicle finds its way to DMV. More than likely DMV has one empty weight that they use for each model in their database. So the 7794# they show on the registration is just a typical weight for that model.

I think you definitely need to go by the sticker on the door frame. The 314# you think you are losing is most likely due to options. 4892# is the cargo weight for your truck. Subtract from that people weight, stuff in the bed, and 262# of fuel to come up with available capacity for your camper.

DW_Gray

The best thing to do is weigh your truck and get the rear axle weight too. The truck should be fully loaded including all cargo, fluids, passengers, and optional equipment. DMV registration info is generic and has little value in the real world. After you subtract the actual weight of the truck from the GVWR, that is the weight you have to work with. But you still need to ensure you won't overload the rear axle with the truck camper. Subtract the weighed rear axle weight from the rear GAWR to learn how much payload may go into the bed. As long the camper weight is less than the allowable payload and you're not exceding the GVWR, you're good to go. Granted, some of the camper weight will also be on the front axle. As long as you're not exceeding the rear GAWR you'll be fine for sure.

For towing, use the Before You Buy RV app to verify you can tow either the Cyclone 4100 King or Road Warrior 415 if you haven't already done so.

oscar

Based on the manufacturers data, some measurements and some (IMHO defendable) assumptions I wrote my own app......(spread sheet).....see below..... Will fill in the final numbers when I get the units and weigh them. So far the "what if" scenarios are all encouraging.

So yes, I did weigh my truck. As you can see, with full fuel, non removable accessories and no people it came in at 8340#. 4660# front and 3680# rear. Even with full people that would leave the full 3993# CWR for the TC. I would still be good on the Max Payload of 4892# as long as the fuel is indeed not part of that. The unit I'm getting, a Lance 1191 (Saturday, yippee) is advertised "dry" at 3200#.

As far as towing the 4100K or the 415RW...... both max out at 18000#, my allowable fiver weight is 22.500#.
TV GVWR is 13000# GCVWR is 30500#. Their pin weights loaded are just north of 3500#. Rear axle max is 9375#. I think I have enough to work with there.:cool:

Attachments

• Weights 1.1.jpg
    Weights 1.1.jpg
    260.7 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:

DW_Gray

As far as towing the 4100K or the 415RW...... both max out at 18000#, my allowable fiver weight is 22.500#.

Oscar, there is no doubt that your truck has the capacity to handle the camper or either toy hauler. But for the benefit for others, who may read this thread, I want to point out a common mistake by buyers and dealers.

Bluntly speaking, as for the published maximum towing capacity for any vehicle, don't trust it. An important matter all should know for most vehicle brands is that the maximum towing capacity is calculated assuming only a 150 pound driver is in the TV and it has all the required trailering equipment. The weight of additional optional equipment, passengers and cargo in the TV must be subtracted from the maximum towing capacity.

As alluded above, the truest way to know the maximum towing capacity is by weighing the truck, fully loaded, and subtracting the truck's weight from the GCWR. But that is only step one of a two step towing verification process. Step two is verifying the rear axle will not be overloaded. Too often, rear axle loads have been overlooked by buyers and dealers.

Last edited: