Satellite Internet

I have been searching for a Satellite that will pick up internet for RV's. I haven't had much luck finding anything other then some very expensive commercial applications. I have a customer of mine that works for the goverment and has to work many Saturdays during the summer. She can work from home on the weekends but needs to be on a secure network with a hardline coming from the dish to the computer. WIFI will not work for her and her family because it is an unscure network. In order for her to work from the campground and still enjoy her weekends with her kids I need to try and find her an internet solution that would work.

Does anyone have any ideas on what I may be able to install on their new Cyclone that would provide them secure internet access?

Thanks for any imput or suggestions.

Mike Yanni

simsfmly

Ohio Chapter Leaders-retired
Mike,

I was surprised on the last call to DirecTV that they tried to upsell me on their internet from the bird. Wasn't as good of a deal as what I had for my Verizon Mi-Fi, but DirecTV is offering it somehow.
I didn't go into it with much detail, but might be worth a call to them.

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
Dish is also advertising it. I don't know any of the details, but will be researching it also as we have the dish tailgater for on the road.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I use both the Sprint and Verizon Aircards. They both have their own phone number and plugged into the computer are about as secure as any satellite. I very seldom use a campground's WiFi. Over all I get a better connection using Verizon. I am not sure but everytime I connect with my aircards we get a different IP Address making it more difficult to interrogate a set IP address. I normally use my air card in my router which gives me a firewall in addition to the firewall on my computer. Unless you are out in the boonies you should be able to get access in most places. Normall no problem around larger cities and near interstates.

Just a thought.
BC

danemayer

She can work from home on the weekends but needs to be on a secure network with a hardline coming from the dish to the computer. WIFI will not work for her and her family because it is an unscure network.

Your friend should discuss this further with her employer's IT department. Virtual Private Network Tunneling protocols have been used for years so that secure, encrypted data connections can be set up across public WiFi and public networks. I would think that any company with remote workers, concerned about data security, would be prepared to set up employees to do this. Once set up, it's transparent to the user - just becomes part of the connection.

JanAndBill

Having been a satellite subscriber for over 6 years at our home/office, I can safely say that it is overpriced, prone to problems, slow and sensitive to weather. I keep a verizon modem handy as backup and to use when I travel. Had Verizon offered coverage in my area years ago, I would never have put in the satellite. The only downside to Verizon now is the bandwidth limitation. If your customer is down loading a lot of large files Verizon might be a problem. That's the only reason I still keep the satellite.

evolvingpowercat

Here is an option you might consider if your wifes work computer requires a "hard line" that is hard ethernet connection. Use a device called a Gaming Adapter that takes a WiFi signal from the air and converts it to a Wired Ethernet signal. Then you can use the WiFi with a wired ethernet only laptop, a wired ethernet only device like Wii or Xbox, Playstation, network interface equipped Blu-Ray player, etc.

You could use WiFi signal from either a Mobile Operator (Sprint, Verizon, ATT) LTE/3G portable hot spot, or from park WiFi. I use the TRENDnet TEW-647GA in my home to provide wired ethernet to a wired ethernet only Blu-Ray player in a bedroom where I do not have wired Ethernet.

The TEW-647GA can be configured from any laptop with ethernet using a web browser. Once configured, you can plug in the work computer and will be good to go.

Here is a link to the TEW-647GA... http://www.amazon.com/TRENDnet-Wire...907957&sr=8-1&keywords=gaming+network+adapter

Last edited:

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
We use the ATT Mi-Fi. I can make it a secure connection or an open connection. You can connect up to 10 devices to it and works on 4G. It works great for us and since we have been grandfathered into the unlimited data it is wonderful.

davebennington

I have followed this thread for several days and Hughes has not been mention. I have used Hughes for about 5 years, If I can get a clear shot of the southwestern sky I can get on the internet and it is secure.

Now I am sure some one will jump in and say it is cumbersome, old school and a pain to setup. They would almost be correct, at times it does take a bit longer to set up however it takes me about 15 to 20 minutes to assemble and aim the dish before I can get on the net. I will admit that for a one night stay it is a pain, but if you are going to be in one place for any length of time it is the way to go. Now all that said you cannot use the newer 9000 series from Hughes you have to get an older 7000 series and they can be had from E-bay as well as a few other places.
If you have any questions or need further info email or PM me.

dave

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired
Ok - I think I understand what you are looking for the Sat Internet for -

If you truly require a wired connection to the internet to satisfy her IT department ( I agree that WIFI can be just as secure - but requires proper configuration ) then consider this

Get a Verizon Wireless Internet Card and a CradlePoint CBR400 Router. This will allow for the Wired network to the laptop to a router and the router talks to the Verizon network. Assuming that she is using VPN she will have an end to end secure connection back to the office.

Kevin

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired
The Cradlepoint CTR 35 Router also has the ability to connect hardwired.

This is true - but that is no longer a current model - although it can be found on Amazon still in limited supply. you will not get updates for this from the MFG.

Kevin