Unplug or Not?

BarneyFife

OK. I can't seem to get a clear answer on this. If the the Cyclone is plugged into shore power and the generator is started, will that fry everything (like my dealer said) or will it cause no problems at all (like some others have told me)?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I am not absolutely certain, but I believe that is the job of an automatic transfer switch. To use only one input source
If you have the automatic transfer switch, you should have no worries.
Hopefully someone with knowledge and experience will chime on.

Peace
Dave
Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

marvmarcy

There should be a transfer switch. It would be a serious safety hazard if it did not have a transfer switch. Starting the generator disconnects shore power. As soon as the generator shuts down, the transfer switch disconnects the generator and reconnects shore power. However, transfer switches don't last forever and can fail, but that doesn't tie the generator and shore power together.

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
I don't have a lot of experience with my generator yet but I was thinking that shore power had priority over the generator on the transfer switch. This could be another one of those things that can vary depending on model year etc.

danemayer

RVIA Standards and Education Dep't says:
"Many manufacturers incorporate an automatic transfer switch (either separate from or
mounted in or on a combination panelboard/converter) to switch power from the shoreline
to the generator. When started and running, the generator automatically activates the transfer
even if the shoreline is plugged in and receiving power. The automatic transfer switch
may give priority to shore power or generator power. See the component manufacturer’s
installation instructions for specifics."

scottyb

Generator has priority on mine. I exercise it every week with shore power connected, and you can definitely hear the transfer swicth activate, both when starting and shutting down the generator. The transfer of power is very seamless.

evolvingpowercat

I agree the dealer is wrong stating that you can't test the generator when shore power is connected, unless the trailer has a very special transfer switch with a lock out that prevents the generator from being started with power present on the shore cable side of the transfer switch, which would only be found in a tiny percentage of RVs.

That said, it would be a sensible saftey precaution to disconnect the shore power cable before testing the generator, in case the transfer switch had a catastrophic failure that tied the shore power side and generator side together (very un-likely). Certainly if the shore power fails, and you want to fire up the generator, disconnect your shore cable. This might save the life of someone who thought he was working on dead power lines if the transfer switch failed and energized the shore cable feeding back into the trailer park electrical system.

Last edited: