Winter Travel

gbrakel

I will be traveling for a day or so in temps well below freezing. Can I leave my furnace on while moving? Also, I have the Yeti pak. I thought it was for shore power only, can you use it on the road? Thanks ahead of time for anyone who can help me.

danemayer

Hi gbrakel,

I sometimes run the furnace while towing but I don't bother unless temps are below 10 F. Most of the time, I'm starting off in the morning with the interior temp around 70 F, and have run the tank heaters overnight. You might run without the furnace and check the interior temp at a morning rest stop or at lunch. If the interior is below 50, the underbelly is likely getting around freezing. It still may not be a problem, but that would be a good indicator that it's time to run the furnace.

Be aware that running the furnace involves an open flame just inside the side wall. When you pull up to a fuel pump, this is a potentially dangerous situation; more so with gasoline than diesel. I'd suggest cutting off the furnace before pulling up to the pump.

The Yeti package includes tank heating pads that run on 110V. If you have a generator, you can run the genny and turn on the tank heating pads. Otherwise they're off. The water line heat tape runs off 12V and is automatic - I don't think there's a switch. If you have battery power/power from the tow vehicle, I think it will keep the water line from freezing without you taking any action.