What Air pump do you use?

Garypowell

After my three blowout with the China Bombs I decided to switch over to GoodYear G614's Just hit the road a week ago and so far so good. But obviously I am trying to watch the pressure and temperature closesly with my TPMS.

BUT.....I have tried about 3 different 12 volt (and that might be my problem) air pumps to keep my new tires up to the 110 pounds they need.

My latest is....Bonaire model DD12. The other two were cigarette lighter models and were worthless. The DD12 is 30 AMP hook to the battery type so I thought this should do the trick. But it huff's and puff's but does not put any air in.

So what pump are you using?

An allied question is if you can crank down the screw on connector too tight?

Thanks,

Gary

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I have a Viair 400C. It's a 12V, connect to the battery and puts out 150 psi. I keep it, along with the attachments and 50 feet of rubber air line in the bed of the truck. The pump came with a small 25ft. plastic hose, but it was chinzy so I replaced it with the rubber one. The rubber also stays flexible in cold temps.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I have one of THESE mounted in the front of my Bighorn.
No problem getting 110 PSI.
A 50 foot hose gets me to any tire I need to top off.

Peace
Dave

Attachments

• viair.jpg
    viair.jpg
    224.6 KB · Views: 163

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Gary, what is your Bonaire rated for in psi? I have the Craftsman similar to TombstoneJim's. It's rated for 125 but I find it best to get the compressor running before trying to add air.
Also with your BH 3010, you would be safe running only 100 psi in the G614's.

Garypowell

Ray and others. My Bonair is rated for 150 PSI. And the reviews I read.....even one from a guy with a bus....said it reached the rated pressure. The cig lighter ones I tried where rated at 120 PSI.

i gave them all a running start but none of them would pump.

In talking to the Tread it Tire folks they told me you loose about 200 pounds of carrying capacity for every 5 PSI your tire is below its cold rated pressure. I realize the 614's have extra plys so they still better than my bombs but if the tread it people are right it would put my carrying capacity right back where it was.

We travel fairly heavy with the catalogs, etc (dishwasher) we carry for our work. I'd be happy to continue to see comments.

side question do you leave the tank full all the time and just crank uo the pump when needed or do you start from zero and if so......how long to get up to pressure?

Gary

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
Campbell/Hausfeld One gallon works for me on the road, 110 psi and lightweight, $39 at WalMart

Attachments

• airComp 002.jpg
    airComp 002.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 98

Vtxkid

I have a Viair 440C myself that is good for 150 psi and is mounted under the truck. Works great for both my air horns and with a line going to the rear bumper with quick disconnect, can be used for any of my tires, both on the truck and RV...

Sent from my DROID BIONIC

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Question for the OP.
Are you interested in a 120 volt or a 12 volt compressor?

Peace
Dave

Garypowell

Dave. I want it to be 12 volt for use on the road if needed. I have a 120 V I probably should have brought. But trusted the spec on the Bon Air. I was in a hurry to leave and did not try it until the day we left.

Gary

porthole

Retired
I want it to be 12 volt for use on the road if needed.

Since your tires get pumped up to 110 psi, I would recommend the Viair 100% duty cycle 200 psi 12 volt compressor.

Compressors less then 150 psi typically use a cut in relay of 100-110 psi.
You will want something that cuts in around 130+, which usually means going to ta 200 psi compressor.

funntheson

I bought a portable unit from Pep Boys for about $60 that hooks up to my truck's battery. It has no problem putting 110 psi in my 614's. if anybody is interested, I can look to see what the brand and model are.

Garypowell

Larry. Yes please.....I am still looking and $60 sounds great. I have weighted my unit and we are 1000 pounds lighter than when we brought the unit home from VA. Plus I realize that being a little under pressure is probably OK since I am also running lighter

scottyb

I keep a Porter Cable pancake compressor in the compartment meant for a mini fridge or TV. I also keep a cordless tool set, 50' air hose, and a 100' extension cord in there with it.