fulltiming and having a freezer

readytohitheroad

does anyone full-time, booddocking for the majority of the time, and maintain a freezer?
my better half and I intend to do this w/ a Landmark w/ a larger solar setup
we hunt alot and in our stick house always have a freezer w/ a fair amount of wild game
we are wondering if this is feasible

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
We have a 3.1 cu. ft. freezer but we don't boondock. Running one on an inverter would really cut into battery life depending on how long you are in the boonies. But yes, as full/anytimers, we use the freezer a lot. With solar, it may not be a problem. You'll have to look at the wattage for the unit you are considering.

SmokeyBare

Only one I know that Boon-docked & had a chest freezer was using a Conversion Bus with a 10 panel solar attached to the top luggage rails. He had the Freezer in the lower storage area, below the bus floor. This gentleman was pretty handy. We met him at Quartzite Arizona... a few miles out of town. We were camped with the Escapee's Boomer's group.

Good Luck with your project.

Marv

lmcclure

1st Tennessee Member#1084
We have a 6.2 cubic foot freezer but we don't boondock. Set it behind the hitch and run an extension cord to it from the pedestal if there is a 110 hookup.

We aren’t fulltime but we do boondock occasionally. We have a 5 cubic foot chest freezer that fits in the space were the washer/dryer would go. We’ve had this setup since 2007 were I have a 1750w inverter wired with dual batteries with an extension cord from the inverter to the freezer inside. When we travel the freezer is never without power and when we occasionally boondock, I will run the Honda 2kw Gen for a couple hours a day to keep the batteries up.

G_Hage

The 2008 Mount Rushmore Suite we just purchased has the 10 cubic foot ref/freezer push a separate 5.5 CF freezer in the washer/dryer space. The unit is also equipped with four 2'x4' solar panels and a four battery pack. Apparently it worked for the previous owner having the freezer drawing power. We've not had a chance to try it on solar power yet ourselves.