Reading Light is blowing bulbs

Westwind

Had a bulb blow in one of the living room reading lights, replaced the bulb with one that has been rarely used and within minutes that one blew! Looked at the light fixture and didn't see anything that didn't look right. Wondering if anyone has experienced this problem and what you might have done about it. I don't want to keep putting light bulbs into the fixture and have them blow. I'll go broke buying new ones. :rolleyes:

traveler44

Re: Reading Light

Which lights are those you are talking about, the ones behind the chairs or the ones over the couch? I know that when i changed one over the couch that it is a halogen so I was very careful not to touch it with my fingers. I handled it with a piece of a paper towel. Tom

Westwind

Rick-Debbie Where did you get your LED blubs? I want to switch the two reading lights in back of the recliners to LEDs. With the 1383 bulbs they get hot to touch.

caissiel

I bought 194s for 7 times cheaper so check around. It would cost a fortune to switch.

Sent from my SPH-M910 using Tapatalk 2

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Reading Light

Laurent is right. There are sellers on EBay that have the same items as super bright for a fraction of the cost.

sjs731

Reading Light

I got all our LEDs off eBay with the exception of the eyeball lights over the bed. I even changed the marker lights on the outside and spent around $300 total and that is because the two eyeball lights were about $22 each.

Steve and Carrie
HOC #2252
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TeJay

Westwind,
My guess you just got another bulb that was defective or marked incorrectly the next thing I would do is measure the voltage at the socket. I don't really know what might cause the voltage to be other than 12 V's but check it anyway. If the voltage is less than 12-V's that won't cause the filament to burn out. The filament is a resistance which is why it glows. If for some reason the filament was bumped and the filament became shorter then that would cause it to blow. There would be to much current for the resistance. There's nothing in the socket that can break which would cause a bulb to burn out so quickly. You either have 12-V's at the socket or not. If the hot lead becomes grounded before going through the bulb filament it would blow a fuse.
JMTCW
TeJay

Westwind

Tejay - Thought I would live dangerously and I took another of the small flood type reading light bulbs off a light over the couch and switched it and its been two nights without a problem so it must have been the bulbs. I'm looking for a LED replacement but everything I've found to date are expensive so I'm going to keep looking and might get some 1383 filaments to replace the empty couch fixtures. They are cheap enough to put up with the heat.