Genesis 2.0 aux operation

Cyberdave

2013 Landmark Key Largo with Genesis GT-2.0 bedroom stereo

I used an HDMI cable to connect a Blu-ray deck to the Sony TV (very nice TV BTW) and a TOS from the deck to the input of the Genesis. Which AUX input selects TOS? Or, which AUX input selects say TOS, COAX, RCA?

It would be a nice addition to the manual as it is not covered very well.

Bob, as a suggestion / question.. When do you think the radio will be upgraded to Blu-ray and if an HDMI aux input added?

I will say the little Genesis sounds pretty nice at ordinary listening levels and once I get the Dish wired in, my wife will probably be in heaven watching her favorites..

danemayer

Hi Dave,

The manual says Mode selections are AUX1, AUX2, AUX3, AUX4, AV1, Bluetooth, and Radio. The manual shows the back panel has input connections for AUX2, AUX4, AV1, TOS, Opt COAX. Process of elimination would suggest that TOS and Opt COAX are probably found on AUX1 and AUX3.

I'm guessing maybe you just tried them all without success. Some TVs won't output digital audio until you enable it on the TV menu.
For exampe, the 32" Sony TV has an Audio menu setting to disable TV speakers and enable audio output to another device.
Also, some TVs won't output digital audio that came in by way of another digital input. So if you use HDMI to play a BluRay disc through the TV, some TVs will turn off the digital audio output and play only through the TV speakers or headphone outputs.

Cyberdave

Hi Dan,

I did not connect the TOS to the tv I connected it to the Blu-ray and set it to TOS / PCM out. What I am trying to find out is what specific inputs apply to which Aux input rather than guess or shotgun trouble shoot. It would be very simple change to add a guide in the owners manual that outlines Aux1 is connected via this input, etc.

It's makes working on an issue so much more difficult when you have to guess which aux it is on and wait for the delay.

BobFields

You are right we should update the manual to be specific.

Currently we have HDMI on our GT3 unit. I am unsure when or if we we will have an HDMI on the GT2.

It sounds really good with the addition of a subwoofer as well.

Cyberdave

Hi Bob, thank you for replying. That would make the 2.0 a very sweet little unit. HDMI in / out, Bluray player and sub.... sweet.

Can you tell me which aux works with what input?

BobFields

AUX3 is the winner and we will update the manuals for the future as a running change.

We currently have no plans to include either Blu Ray or HDMI in the GT2. If I had to guess, HDMI would come before Blu Ray.

We have a GT3 which is our "high end" unit and it includes HDMI already.

Moving forward if anyone wants anything from our online store please let em know as I will waive shipping charges.

Theresau

This may be a dumb question but how are the inputs and outputs accessed? I would like to set up a digital optical input.

danemayer

This may be a dumb question but how are the inputs and outputs accessed? I would like to set up a digital optical input.
Hi Theresau,

I would start with the manuals for the surround sound and the TV to see if you have either Optical TOS or Digital Audio Coax connectors on both devices. If you can't find your manuals, we have a bunch of them posted in the manuals section of the forum.

Then take a look at our RV Audio Connections Illustrated guide. If you don't have compatible connectors on both devices, you may still be able to make a connection by following this guide.

If you have a Genesis surround sound, there's probably a cover plate that comes off and there will be 4 screws holding the unit. Pull it out carefully (so nothing gets yanked out) and you shouldn't have any problem getting to the connectors.

Getting to the back of the TV can be challenging depending on the mount. There's often a piece of wood trim at the top of the TV preventing it from bouncing up and down. 3 screws hold that in place. Once that's out, you may have the type of mount where the TV bracket "hooks" onto an upper and lower plate mounted to the wall. If that's what you have, the TV will lift up and toward you. Have another set of hands helping so you don't drop the TV while working on connections. A flashlight will often be needed. Routing cables can be interesting depending on the cabinetry. A flexible gripper device would be helpful. Or a coat hanger.

If the TV doesn't lift up, the bottom will probably pull out toward you with a little "encouragement." There's a setscrew that the bracket has to flex past. The the TV lifts up from the top bracket.

When you put the TV back, it's critical that it be supported the same way and that the wood trim is back in place preventing bounce.

While you have it open, might as well run an HDMI cable at the same time, or even two, so you can connect satellite and BlueRay to the TV if you ever get them.

Theresau

Thank you so much Dan. There are no problems with available connections, etc. - blu ray player has this and per the Genisis manual it's available as well.

What I need to know is how to actually access the inputs for the Genesis - our model of BC appears to have blocked it off as it's fully encased in the entertainment center except for an input hole in the bottom that has RCA cables that connect the Genesis DVD player with the TV. (Our model of BC has a flip up TV in the entertainment center (with storage behind it) - the access hole is above that storage area.)

I was wondering if the front facing of the Genesis comes off....(this is the reason I asked both areas - hoping either Heartland or Genesis would respond...) I'm hoping that I've just missed something here....

In regard to the TV itself, the HDMI input/outputs are vey apparent and easily accessed. (Routing through the hole to the Genesis would be Joe's job :)) But there's no way we can access the inputs through that small hole alone - we need to get to the back of the Genesis.

My plan is to set up satellite and the blu ray player (as had been done in our BH) and hook up the blu ray to the Genesis via the optical cable. We would then select the appropriate AUX input on the Genesis when we play the blu ray - the blu ray can be set up so that it uses external speakers. In the past, I've done the same with the TV but found it bothersome to always have to turn on the "receiver" and select the AUX input each time we watched TV...I've also worked around this too by using the TV speaker as well as the external speakers - but again, it was just more trouble than I felt it was worth.

I'd also like to add a subwoofer - per the manual, the Genesis has this capability and the entertainment center has space for it. Joe would just drill a small hole as needed so that it can be connected.

(At home we have a full surround sound system with a Pioneer receiver...all sound comes from it...it's connection to devices is via HDMI and optical audio connections.)

Theresa

danemayer

Theresa,

The Genesis should have a bezel (front face) that's less than 1" wide, wrapping around the front surface. I don't remember if the bezel has the mounting screws or is a friction fit, but either way it's not hard to get it off. If it's friction fit, the mounting screws for the device will be exposed once the bezel has been removed. Then the whole device slides out and you'll find the connectors on the back.

Theresau

Bob,

What is the liink to your online store? I found Aridian Technology Company but no store.

AUX3 is the winner and we will update the manuals for the future as a running change.

We currently have no plans to include either Blu Ray or HDMI in the GT2. If I had to guess, HDMI would come before Blu Ray.

Moving forward if anyone wants anything from our online store please let em know as I will waive shipping charges.

Theresau

Bob,

What is AUX1 used for?

Yes AUX3 worked for the opticals - coax took priority if you plug in both (hopeddddddd that I would be able to cheat here and plug in both and be able to use AUX3 for two devices - didn't work).

Theresa