Looking to buy backup camera and towing mirrors

Have just got a 31' North Trail and need to get backup camera and towing mirrors. Have a 2013 Ford F-150. F-150 just has standard mirrors on it. Now I know I should have got the towing mirrors. Any suggestions for mirrors and camera would be helpfull. Would one need a camera on back of trailer to see what's behind it or will towing mirrors be sufficient?

Thanks

Milton

Baltbirds

I have the 31RESS and tow in with a Tundra. I did not think I would need tow mirrors but I would suggest getting them. There is a lot of trailer behind you and you want to see as much as possible. I ended getting OEM mirrors. I would suggest the same and not getting strap on or the ones that slide on.

ILH

I drove a 34' SOB TT for a number of years with a Suburban tow vehicle. I didn't have a choice except for aftermarket add-on mirrors. If you decide to go that route, I highly recommend McKesh mirrors from Hensley. They were very stable, easy to mount and remove and Hensley was good to deal with.

I now have a 5th wheel with a 3/4 ton pickup with factory tow mirrors. INFINITELY better to have factory mirrors. Yes, it will be more expensive, but worth it.

pegmikef

I bought the factory electric towing mirrors for my F150 and they were great. They cost about 450 installed and I sold the original mirrors on ebay for a little over 300 dollars (they sold in seven days). There weren't really any add on mirrors for my F150. My F250 came with towing mirrors.

I use the Swift Hitch backup camera. I forget where I bought it, but Ebay or Amazon both have them. It works great.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=swift+hitch&_sacat=0&_from=R40

Thanks for all the replys and ideas. I'll take a serious look at the factory towing mirrors. Still unsure about rear view camera. We have a Rand McNally RVND 7720 GPS. It's suppose to accept video input. Has anyone used a camera with one? Would like to have a camera on back of trailer to view what behind us as going down the road. Has anyone done this and what did you use?

Thanks

Milton

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
Got an I-Ball camera system for Christmas. Worked nice for what little I tried it. As soon as I dig the snow out around the trailer, I'll give it a better workout.

KiwiRVer

Hi There,

Warning this is a commercial.

I sell back up camera systems and we have just had a very successful sales booth at the Tampa RV super show. I am happy to extend show pricing to forum members, go to www.innotechrv.com and when you check out put RVSHOW in the coupon box. Email me at info@innotechrv.com if you need any assistance with component selection. Our systems are available with 1-4 cameras and we can supply trailer wiring kit for connecting between truck and trailer. Our systems are all wired. Wired systems are far more reliable than wireless and provide more options. It take a little more work installing but it is worth it for the superior video and reliability. Our dual rear-view camera allows you to see both what is coming up behind you on the freeway and what is immediately behind your trailer. The optional side view cameras are good for backing when you can't see where the tail is swinging on the blind side.

Cheers
Craig

Got the factory towing mirrors put on truck. Will see how they do before I do anything concerning rear view camera.

Thanks for everyones help.

Milton

JeffG1947

We've got the Voyager WAOM562 Wireless Camera and love it. Keep it on all the time for a great rear view which makes lane changes much easier then just mirrors. Also helps for backing up into sites but ground shadows can make it confusing so it's still best to have your navigator back there. BTW, there's a microphone on the camera and a speaker on the dash monitor so when she yells at you to stop it's best to listen....:)