Heat vent floor registers

Bob Vaughn

Thanks to the Talleys I made a trip to Lowes and bought new heat register covers. They look lot better than what came from the factory.
IMG_0388.jpg

MCTalley

Glad we could be an inspiration to so many others. :cool:

Couple of things to watch out for:
1. When we put one of those registers in our bathroom, the high heat from the furnace in that room (only about a 2' run from the furnace to that vent) caused the plastic shutters and box underneath to warp. Keep an eye on the plastic parts if your register is very close to the furnace.
2. Those metal plates on top get pretty warm when the furnace is running (the stock metal grates do the same, just not as much surface area). Be careful stepping on them barefoot.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I replaced all of our registers with the metal adjustable kind. Even though we don't winter camp, the furnace still gets used quite a bit in the beginning and end of our "summer" season, as well as some less than warm summer nights. So far, after four seasons, the furnace hasn't blown up and the rig hasn't burnt down. The scare about restricting airflow is aimed at blocking off the furnace output right at the furnace, not redirecting the air through the ducting system to where it's most needed. If that were the case, my house would have blown up years ago.

MTPockets

I replaced all of our registers with the metal adjustable kind. Even though we don't winter camp, the furnace still gets used quite a bit in the beginning and end of our "summer" season, as well as some less than warm summer nights. So far, after four seasons, the furnace hasn't blown up and the rig hasn't burnt down. The scare about restricting airflow is aimed at blocking off the furnace output right at the furnace, not redirecting the air through the ducting system to where it's most needed. If that were the case, my house would have blown up years ago.
We put in new metal covers, but had to remove the adjusting fins as the depth was too shallow for the fin ....

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
If anyone else is interested in replacing theirs, any heating and AC company should have them on-hand. And usually a better quality than those at the big box stores.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Actually, I got mine at Lowe's in Gaylord, MI. All metal, adjustable, same color as the originals, and they fit the duct boxes without a problem.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Can someone confirm the size, so people get the right one?

In our ElkRidge, we replaced ours with these, adjustable style. Fits cut-out 10” x 2-3/8” x 1”. They are plastic. Work great! We don't close the vents entirely, but they with the adjustment, it helps better direct the air.
RvFloorRegisterwithDamperWhite.jpeg

I believe the vents for the BH,BC, GW, and LM are bigger.

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
There is a very large amount of different sizes out there. I would suggest that anyone looking to buy new ones take a look at the old ones they have first. This could solve problems with having to return them to the place they buy them.

ParkIt

Since we had a few left over from the house remodel I took them out to the BC and replaced all of them. 4x10 which is standard at any hardware store...but they don't close. DH had run the vacuum over them breaking the tab on top which is why they were 'left over'. Looked a lot better than the standard brown metal ones which can also get hot.

Our '14 Cyclone CY3100 has a vent in the bathroom and the MBR, but nothing is coming out of those vents. Only one zone on the Domestic thermostat, fan on auto. Any ideas?

jimtoo

Hi enforcer17,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

I'm sure some of our other members will jump in soon with some suggestions. If your talking about the vents in the floors they only are hooked to the furnace, and if the furnace is blowing out of the other vents, then I would think you have a distribution hose not connected or has come loose. You might pull a panel in the storage area and look for a hose from the back of the furnace that is not connected.

Let us know what you find.

Jim M

danemayer

Our '14 Cyclone CY3100 has a vent in the bathroom and the MBR, but nothing is coming out of those vents. Only one zone on the Domestic thermostat, fan on auto. Any ideas?

Hi enforcer17,

I agree with Jim. If there's no hot air coming out of the floor vent in bathroom or MBR, but it does come out of other floor vents, there's probably a problem with the hoses.

Your comments about the thermostat pertain to the Air Conditioning side of the operation. The furnace operation has nothing to do with zones or with fan settings. In fact, if you have the fan setting of the thermostat set to anything other than AUTO, it'll seem like the A/C is running when the furnace calls for heat.

Our owner-written Heating and Cooling Guide may be helpful to you.

Thank you Dan & Ann and Jim or your replies, I will check the storage area and see where the connection has likely come loose.