Guzzuling Propane

RB2012

The Temps been in the low 20s in NJ and we are loading up the Big Horn to head south been using electric heaters during the day but at night switching to furnace went through one 30 lb tank in 4 days is this normal I have a 40,000 btu furnace and setting the thermostat to 46 degrees. By the way that suburban furnace is so quiet I can hardly hear it Thanks Capt RC

Phatkd

In our 3010RE (Not sure on the furnace BTU's) we have gone through 60lbs of propane in 8 days with temps in the -15c to -22c temp range. Your furnace is working overtime at those temps,..I would say it is normal based on my experience. If you are on 30-50 amp power and have a fireplace, crank it to high which will use power, but will save you on propane.

Cheers,..Kris

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Sounds about right. We were in NJ in March with temps in the 20s several years ago and would go through a 30 pound tank of Propane in about 4 days with the thermostat set on 65. Then we got a Polonis electric heater (from Camping World) and the 30 pound tank would last about 15 days.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Agree with everyone else. low temps will consume propane at a rapid pace. If you have fireplace, keep in running at night and get a couple of SAFE supplemental electric heaters. Those that are "cool" to the touch and turn off automatically are good to have, especially if you have pets.