Portable Ice Maker Now on Sale at Target--1/27/13

RoadJunkie

I see in the Target sale flyer this morning that the Emerson portable ice maker is on sale for $119.00. We had one of these units and loved it while staying in our rig for 4 months. After storage, however, the unit failed to work. It was replaced under warranty and I have not yet used it. I hope it works as well--and longer--than the first! I wanted to include this experience as a good/bad experience with hope for a return of the good. So, make your own choice with this in mind.

TGLBWH

North Central Region Directors-Retired
I have used one from Kohl's, probably the same one, for 3 years while in my rig and at home without any problems at all. Hope you have that kind of luck with number 2. I am spoiled now and wouldn't be without onewhile travelling.

rvn4fun

We had one, it was complete junk, I don't think it made 2 bags of ice. We didn't get it in before warranty ran out, now it is in the dumpster. Don't buy Emerson.

DuaneG

We have a different brand. Save the box and receipt because many have mentioned problems with their units and had to replace them or send them out for warranty work. Makes it a lot easier when you have the orig box.

The one we have says not to turn it upside down while moving it. Something that could cause it to break if it was shipped that way and not allowed to settle right side up for hours prior to first use. FYI

Some people just buy a bag of ice and replace when needed. I think that takes up to much room in the freezer and my wife likes being able to make different size cubes. Plus we double filter the water we use and know the water quality.

Some make a lot of noise, but ours is surprisingly quiet. I really do like having one more than I like buying ice. I usually run it while I am sleeping and then fill up a zip lock gallon size bag when I wake up and put that in the freezer. That's usually enough ice for the day.

Sent from my cell phone. Please forgive typos and spelling errors.

convert

Reginald Hromek
Try Wal Mart on line. They have an Igloo portable ice maker for $89. I have one since Dec. I've used it a few times and so far so good, makes great cubes.

katkens-DW

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
We got ours from camping world 6 years ago still works great.. We got it on sale and free shipping..

campfire7

After reading this post, I was convinced that we need a portable Ice Maker, so I when to Walmart online and purchased one made by Chief Magic. it arrived in 3 days and we tried it in the house for a coupe days, it works great. we have a trip next week to Disney's Ft. Wilderness so we are looking forward to using it. Even though it's not really noisy, we plan to let it make ice during the day while we are in the parts, and at night unplug it, My wife is a light sleeper. I think it will produce enough for us just running it during the day.

wdk450

Walmart online also has reasonably priced extended warranties available that will get you a new unit if yours fails.

Try Wal Mart on line. They have an Igloo portable ice maker for $89. I have one since Dec. I've used it a few times and so far so good, makes great cubes.

mountainlovers76

Mississippi Chapter Leaders
We got ours from camping world 6 years ago still works great.. We got it on sale and free shipping..

Same here. Ours is four years old from Camping World and we use it all the time. Works great, never had a problem with it and makes ice quickly and a lot of it.

GOTTOYS

That's a pretty fair price. We got one there and it works just fine. I think they are all made by the same company and just have a different name on the badge on the front. If you put a high buck Dometic next to a low buck Emerson they are exactly the same except for the name. Because of that buy the cheapest one you can find...Don

scottyb

Has anybody tried running one off of an inverter while traveling. It would be nice to get to your destination and have a tray of ice. Specs say it uses 150 watts.

GOTTOYS

Has anybody tried running one off of an inverter while traveling. It would be nice to get to your destination and have a tray of ice. Specs say it uses 150 watts.
Might not work very well what with the water shaking all over. I would suggest turning it on while you are setting up. It takes about 7 minutes for a batch of ice which is about 7-8 cubes. The first batch is usually pretty small and they get bigger as it runs awhile. Half an hour to 45 minutes and you would have maybe a couple dozen ice cubes..Don