Propane Flow Problem and Smell of Propane

jbeletti

When we arrived at our destination a couple nights ago, the refer was beeping, indicating NO LP.

I checked auto-changeover valve and it was red, no matter wich way I positioned it.

I checked my tanks and one was in fact empty, but the other was not. Then I began to smell gas. Refilled the empty tank, put it back in, tried valve in both positions - no change - stayed red. Turned off the tanks and left it alone.

The next day, messed with it more and tried to light the stove. It worked. Then tried to start the generator. It would not start and the stove flame went out. Turned the stove off and the refer lit!

So, I am getting enough pressure to use the stove and refer now, but not the generator. And if I have either tank on, I smell gas at both locations.

I'm thinking I have a bad regulator on the door side and it's venting gas and there must be a regulator built into the off door side auto-changeover valve and I feel it may be defective too.

Anyway, got some parts on the way, so hope to start changing them out later this week until I figure out where the failure point(s) is(are).

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
EEK!

I have one of these since my nose is more sensitive to unusual smells, I tend to "think" I smell propane, when most of the time, I don't.

Stay safe and don't try to use the system if you can smell propane.

jbeletti

Ah yes Erika. I have a gas sniffer tool too. Plus the soap solution to check fitting. It will get used after I change the parts :)

danemayer

Hi Jim,

Have you tried a bubble test to see where the leaks are? Also, it seems odd that both sides would develop leaks at the same time, so I'm wondering if maybe when filling, the relief valve screws were left loose.

jbeletti

Hi Jim,

Have you tried a bubble test to see where the leaks are? Also, it seems odd that both sides would develop leaks at the same time, so I'm wondering if maybe when filling, the relief valve screws were left loose.

Dan,

I have not soaped them yet. Figured I'd mess with that when the new parts come in. Good point on the relief valve screws. But, the tank they filled does not leak when the tank valve is off.

I agree that it's real odd that I smell propane on both sides. I will be soaping that red regulator on the DS for sure. I can see the vent hole on it easy too.

plumberdude

Hello Jim,
plumberdue here , miss lori and i will be at buckhorn and tools if you need my help...
see you at the rally

pat