Gas gen in a bighorn?

We recently picked up a nice slightly used onan 5500 marquis gold genny, it is a gas model versus the LP. I have read about every thread on gennys and have yet to find out what people are doing for the gas tank. I have read that some people use a boat tank, I also read that you cannot buy the "factory" gas tank as heartland is going to all LP gennys.

I was hoping that I could get a few questions answered by those of you that have the same genny and possibly a couple pictures of your setup, mainly where and how the gas tank is mounted and how big it is (gallons) is it metal or plastic? I assume there is a shut off valve inline somewhere after the tank? We are leaving next week to go out to a desert race and will need to have the genny to support us for a week of boondocking. Thanks.

danemayer

Hi RedRockCouple,

Someone was looking into putting a Gas genny in a Landmark last year. I don't think anyone had a solution for the gas tank question.

If you do get a useful response, be aware that you also need the Generator Prep Option on your rig in order to install the generator. And the installation is not for the faint of heart. From prior reports, I would say most people would leave it to experienced hands.

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
Our toyhauler has a built in tank (Fueling station) that also supplies the generator. It's a 30 gallon metal tank on the driver's side behind the rear axle.
If you opt for a permanent tank installation I strongly recommend adding a way to drain the tank for periods of storage longer than a couple weeks.
I also add Sta Bil anytime I put fuel in the tank. It's cheap insurance against the problems stale fuel can cause!

Thanks Dan, I do have gen prep in the rig. I have been on the phone a lot this morning with heartland, dealers and finally the people at Cummins. Basicly heartland said they have never installed a gas generator in a bighorn ever. They claim that every gas generator ever installed was done at a dealership. The dealerships said (called 3 of the biggest) they get all parts from a 3rd party and would not really answer any questions because of the new epa regs on evap canisters needing to be installed in all gas generator setups as of 2011. Cummins basically stated that my gen (and rv) is old enough that the regs don't matter and suggested as long as I had a tank that had a vented cap in a separate compartment that was mounted safely and securely that I had could use whatever container I choose. Based on that I am going to install a 12 gallon race style fuel cell.

danemayer

If everything works out, and you can take some pictures along the way, come back around a post a writeup of the installation. You can be the pioneer that everyone else copies.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Yes! If you take pics and can show how you did it, might be a good feature for the Q-2 Heartland Highlights newsletter.

Erika

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JanAndBill

Just curious, as I have a gas generator that I thought about mounting in my Big Horn, why are you not just buying a conversion kit and running it off LP. I've seen several kits out there for less than a $100. The process didn't seem all that difficult.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Just curious, as I have a gas generator that I thought about mounting in my Big Horn, why are you not just buying a conversion kit and running it off LP. I've seen several kits out there for less than a $100. The process didn't seem all that difficult.

I have to say, we love our LP Onan 5500.
Fuel source already on board. Burns fairly clean and quiet. No problems so far. Only slightly more thirsty than gas models. I carry an extra 20lb tank for the barbeque and generator back up.
Most of the complaints I read when researching gas vs. propane gennys, were gasoline models plugging up and fouling.
We have been very happy with ours. Trace