New Dodge

Jimmyt5

I think that Dodge has finally got it right.
I just finished about 2000 miles including 7% hills (mountains)with my new Dodge.
I have had 3 Cummins and never had one that acted like this one.
It has a six speed automatic and a Jake Break going down some mountains
I had to give it fuel. This transmission really works,couple that with the 6.7 Cummins and they have a rig...imho
JimNone

HappyKayakers

Jim,
What are the weight ratings on that truck? I heard they didn't go up much with the bigger engine and exhaust brake.

sgtbigb

Nu Dodge Tk

U R right Dodge did this tk right, very quiet and comfortable, just came back from a 6500 road trip out west and it laugh at the mountains and gave me MPG from 11 to 13.5. The exhaust break is WOW! never had to break comming down mountains. This is a good tk, highly recommend!:D

Pulltab

My experiences are exactly the same in the mountains, gotta give er the throttle to keep the speed at 55 downhill! :)

The gcwr with the 4:10 is still stuck at 23,000. I think if you buy the cab chassis it is rated at 24,000. Loaded with fuel and the 51 gallon aux tank filled, dog in cab and wife also fully loaded it weighs in at 8500. This is a DRW 4x4 lwb.

Be carefull going through Colorado!! From what I hear on other forums, there still seems to be Low Sulfer Diesel (LSD) being sold there. The LSD is causing some issues with the diesel particulate filter resulting in check engine light. Just make sure the pump is labled as Ultra Low Sulpher Diesel (ULSD).

I haven't had any problems.. Just a little over 1000 mi so far.

FLSTS03

Whiteelephant,
My 1st choice was a mega as well, was not looking forward to 3yr grandson kicking me in the back and I loved the space, since we were looking at a landmark & 3670rl the weights listed for the Mega scared me off,for that matter I'm concerned about the trailer being too heavy for my quad dually. The same gcvw but picked up another 2k gvwr so I went with quad. How is your mega handling your cyclone, as it appears also to be a heavy trailer? Steve

Pulltab

I have over 5000 on mine now and the only code I have gotten so far is the P245A which is a EGR code. They reflashed the computer with the latest program and so far I have not had the code show up again. I do think it is going into regen mode more often but that is just me thinking that. Watching the overhead it will be gaining mileage then start dropping again. Does that quite frequently and did not before. I have read on the diesel forum about one of the flashes causing it to regen every 50 miles or so.
Unless I have any issues I will wait for the problems to work themselves out and they come up with a dependable flash then I will get it reprogrammed.

grizzlygiant

Pulltab: I am a newby to diesels just having bought my first one, a Dodge 2500. Please explain what this "reflash" business is.

jbeletti

nhunter,

Dodge has a nice towing capacity calculator on the web here.

And using some assumptions, here's 1 set of figures I came up with. Of course, they will vary slightly depending on the exact build of the truck:

Assumptions:
2007 RAM 3500
Laramie, 4x4, Quad Cab, 8 Ft, 6.7-Liter Cummins® Turbo Diesel Engine, 6-Speed Automatic 68RFE Transmission

Results:
With 11.50 Axle for Dual-Rear-Wheel Vehicles and 4.10 Axle Ratio You Can Tow 15250 lbs
Gross Vehicle Weight Rating(GVWR)=12200
Payload=4592
Curb Weight=7608
Curb WeightFront/Rear=4522/3086
GAWRFront/Rear=5200/9350
Gross Combination Weight Rating(GCWR)=23000

Pulltab

Grizzly, the reflash is simply reprogramming the computer with new parameters or corrections to various systems. They are coming out with new reflashs on a pretty regular basis right now, soon they will get it all sorted out. Normally unless there is a possible problem with the current program they do not want to reflash the computer unless you have gotten some codes that are things the new flash fixes. Otherwise you can get it and they will charge you for it.

Hunter, yeah 23,000 is the max gcwr with the exception of the cab chassis which I think may be rated for 24,000.

Note: you gotta be careful with the dodge calculators as they do not take into consideration the weight of options on the truck or what you may be carrying in the truck to make it look like they can out pull the competition in weight. We come within 160 pounds of max gcwr with full fuel. Obviously all vehicles have a safety factor built into them but you really don't want to rely on that. :) I will say that the 6.7 with turbo/exhaust brake is an awesome setup!

FLSTS03

grizzygiant,
" reflashes or flashes" are, simply put, computer downloads that fix or enhance anything controlled by the trucks computer(so I'm told). dieseltruckresourse.com is an excellent forum for all generations of Dodge trucks and flashes are covered in detail. There have been a couple flashes since June '07 that were suppose to fix several regeneration/other issues but as allways there will be owners out there that the flashes have not helped and some have traded back to the '06 5.9L. 3k miles on my 6.7L and no problems here and by all accounts I should, these trucks were made to work and I haul very little and commute only 6 miles ea way daily.

Steve

FLSTS03

nhunter,
you are correct 4.10's are rated 23000,I had to settle for 3.73's @21000 GCVW, this is why I'm a little concerned about going ahead with the Augusta I'm negotiating for.

nhunter

I just thought it was low as my F-350 SRW 4x4 has a GCWR of 23500lbs with 3.73. Thought it would be higher for dually. But I have heard that it pulls like Jack the bear and stops like it too. Wonder what fuel milage is like?

Pulltab

Grizzly, your welcome.

Hunter, I get 10mpg pulling max load at 23,000 and get almost 14 just driving.

sidney dreyfus

Superchips

Can anyone tell me if the Superchips product will improve the towing capacity.

Sid Dreyfus
3670RL
05 Dodge dually. 4.1 real axle. 5.9L diesel

Pulltab

It will not increase your capacity but will increase the ease of which it pulls the load and most likely will give you a little improvement on mileage.

I see you have the 5.9, chipping it will get you some real HP gains and torque.

sidney dreyfus

superchips

Pulltab,
If I get an increase in HP, doesn't that mean I can pull more weight? I guess an increase in torque means it's easier on the engine to get going from the start while pulling the trailer.

Thanks,
Sid

Pulltab

sidney dreyfus said:
Pulltab,
If I get an increase in HP, doesn't that mean I can pull more weight? I guess an increase in torque means it's easier on the engine to get going from the start while pulling the trailer.

Thanks,
Sid
Hi Sid, yes you could but I am referring to the legal capacity of the truck not being able to increase. The gcwr rating can not be legally increased by anyone but the manufacturer. You gotta remember that to pull the load is one thing but horsepower does nothing to help stop the load. Therefore to increase GCWR the manufacturer would have to increase BOTH sides of the fence. :) But to answer your question, yes, you would be able to pull more weight.