Traveling with a Cat

nhunter

We travel with a cat (10 years old). It took him some time but now he hates to get left at home. We put litter box under bathroom sink and leave 1 door open and all seems to work out good.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Forrest Fetherolf said:
Brush up on your cat parenting skills.:D Sounds like that cat "rules":eek: Call Dog Whisperer "Cesar Milan", maybe he has a referral to rehabilitate cats and train people........................good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Forrest[quote Oh yes the cat has us trained very well. Bob and Pat

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
If you're asking about the cat...we travel with two and we fulltime. We leave them in the unit when we travel. When we start to pack up they just go find a place to lay down, usually on the back of the couch.

They ride in there just fine and are quite relaxed when we open up upon arrival at our "new home"...

Bob&Patty

Thanks Ken & Kathy Just dont want to take our 1st trip with her and open the door and find her hanging from the ceiling. Claw marks in our new 5er Bob & Patty

arisce

We also travel with 2 cats and there doesn't seem to be a problem with that. Of course when we leave here in the winter, they are in the truck with us, in their cages but as soon as it is warm enough, they go into the BH where they each have their special place to sleep or view the world as it passes by. We have litter boxes in the truck and BH and we have not had a problem with litter or "waste management".Ebony is used to being outside on a leash and is very comfortable with the idea. Although I am usually outside with him, reading or relaxing. Our grey tabby cat, Tabitha roams freely at home and so is not happy with a harness and leash. However after 2 weeks she will venture out, usually at night when there is less noise.Both have been on long trips and managed very well.We just make sure we have lots of their food as we can only purchase it at a vet and not at a local store. Surprisingly, we are never asked for their papers at the border when we cross. Apparently cats do not have to have their shots to enter the USA. However all our cats have all their shots and I carry the originals and copies with me always.
Hope your cats enjoy travelling as much as ours do.
PS. Thanks Jim for the new thread! Ebony appreciates it!

ChopperBill

Renee want to take our two cats to AZ this winter. The oldest one (12) is a real psycho and I don't think she will do to well. Fighting the idea!

sharmulst

We traveled with 2 cats in our RV for 10 years. We are not fulltimers yet so were only gone from 3-5 months. They both did very well. Cinders was always waiting at the food dish whenever we went in the RV while traveling. Muffin was a different story, but she was a little paranoid from the time I found her as a stray. They have both gone onto the great pet heaven, Cinders was 18 and Muffin was 16 1/2 and we had had them both from about 6 months of age and were strays. Happy traveling with your pets, cats adapt very well.

davebennington

We travel with all of our kids in fur coats, 2 cats and the dog. The cats ride in the trailer and the dog rides in the truck with us. So far everything has gone very well.

Dave

wazz_zup

We tried traveling with our two cats back in the FW, but they find areas to hide and then when it's time to open the slides, we gotta dig for the 10 yr one...sometimes a little tougher that others.
Now we keep the two cats in their cages and the dog up front in the truck with us. Works out ok.

Bob&Patty

here kitty kitty

Wazz Up, I still dont know about our cat. Just afraid we wont have dig her out, just have to get off the ceiling.:eek: I really think she is losing it, she was sleeping today, (whats new) and must have been dreaming. She was meowing and growling in her sleep. Bob:D :D

wazz_zup

Bob&Patty said:
Wazz Up, I still don't know about our cat. Just afraid we wont have dig her out, just have to get off the ceiling.:eek: I really think she is losing it, she was sleeping today, (whats new) and must have been dreaming. She was meowing and growling in her sleep. Bob:D :D

....nice. We love our babies (animals). We don't have any children, so they are all we have. And we always take them camping with us.
20050602_0045.jpg

Last edited:

happycampernc

I know that this is a little early since we are not going to go camping until July 4 weekend but, we have a cat that has diabetes and it will be her first time going camping with us. Any ideas of what kind of carrier and stuff to take for her other than her water, food and litter pan?

nhunter

I found our cat went crazy in the carrier in the truck, howling and meowing. I let him out and he layed on the console beside for the rest of the trip. Just have to be careful yours isn't a runner. Some toys and that's all ours needs. And be prepared to leave the bedroom blinds open so they can see. Good luck.

Cooper

The problem with our cat is that the first night he cry's all night long. I would not even thing about putting our cat in the rv while traveling. Have you ever ridden in and trailer while moving?

cjbearden

Visitor
Our two fur kids don't do well riding in the truck, don't like the diesel sound. One meows constantly, running all over us and the inside of the truck and the other hides under the back seat. We opted to place them in the RV while traveling and they have adapted quite well. The one who hides is a true fraidy cat so he likes to hide in his round sleeping house (better than hiding at the back of the litter box like he used to do). Our Lady (aka Baby Kitty) will lie down anywhere she feels comfortable and not too bouncy. I have ridden with them a couple of times and it is loud, and bumpy. There were times I wondered how they could stand it. Never had any problems about them hiding and always check their whereabouts before moving slides in or out. When we stop for breaks when travleing, they usually greet us at the door and go get food and water. Then when we leave, they go find their sleeping spots.

They love lying near a window and watching the birds and wildlife and wake us up every morning when the birds start chirping!! Are they spoiled or what? They have a pretty strict and predictable routine and want to stick to it and let us know real quick when it has gone past a certain feeding time. Ever feel like you are getting the stare down? :D

Attachments

• FelixandLady.JPG
    FelixandLady.JPG
    22.7 KB · Views: 31

Greselda

Well, we finally ventured out with our two kitties in tow and they did real well in the 5er.

We have been taking them for short runs in the car in their soft sided carrier and they seemed to do fine with some meowing, but the minute we put them in their large cage in the back seat of the truck, our youngest one (about 18 months) began to drool and drool and finally puked....eew! He was trying to look all around him while the world went by....(fast) and we think he got car sick trying to look at everything move by so quickly.

So, we decided to put them in the 5er while we traveled and they did great!!

We put them up front in the bedroom portion, made sure they had their litter box and their blankets and toys, and when we checked on them after only about 30 minutes, they were both on the bed looking at us like to say, "is it time to eat now?"

Putting them in the bedroom area seems to work very well all around, and we don't let them out until we have stopped for the day and put out the slide, so they won't be tempted to run behind it.

I know that we will get a lot of flack for allowing our "babies" to ride in the 5er, but it sure has made their traveling life a much happier experience!!

Rick and Janine