Traveling with the dogs this weekend without the RV :(

jbeletti

Well, we were supposed to be camping for the last time in our Landmark this weekend near Galena, IL but alas, the Landmark is for sale in Elkhart.

So we canceled our reservations at the Lena KOA and booked a Kabin at the same CG. Some KOAs do allow pets in their Kabins. This one does.

So we're making our lists, checking them twice and we're about to load up the car with a bunch of camping stuff as well as all the dog stuff. All their stuff reminds me of planning to take the kids to somewhere when they were little. Lots of stuff (beds, meds, toys, food, leashes etc.).

But at least we'll have our little friends with us instead of having to board them :)

Jim

Sol

I'm done making lists when it comes to dog travel. I keep a leash, a soft sided collapsible crate and inexpensive dishes for water & food permanently stocked in our Cyclone. Since I have a high maintenance type dog (aka cocker spaniel), which I groom myself, I have a well stocked grooming box which is portable enough to grab and stow. A couple of ziplock bags of food and treats, and the pet situation is good to go.

OOOooo, and thanks for adding to the forum.

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
Sol said:
I'm done making lists when it comes to dog travel. I keep a leash, a soft sided collapsible crate and inexpensive dishes for water & food permanently stocked in our Cyclone. Since I have a high maintenance type dog (aka cocker spaniel), which I groom myself, I have a well stocked grooming box which is portable enough to grab and stow. A couple of ziplock bags of food and treats, and the pet situation is good to go.

OOOooo, and thanks for adding to the forum.

We are basically the same, since we show our dogs all that great stuff goes, also. Make sure your Vet. knows you do lots of traveling in other states and all those expensive shots are the right ones and take a copy of the shot record with you and don't forget the poo-bags.:) ---Ken

Sol

katkens said:
We are basically the same, since we show our dogs all that great stuff goes, also. Make sure your Vet. knows you do lots of traveling in other states and all those expensive shots are the right ones and take a copy of the shot record with you and don't forget the poo-bags.:) ---Ken

Great additions. I thought the poo-bags went without saying, lol.

racermom

Our Beagle goes everywhere with us, to the office with hubby, to the races with us, everywhere. What we do is keep all of his "Stuff" in an overnight carrying bag (like the one you would take on a plane) it works great. I top off the dog food and treats after returning from our last trip and everything stays in the bag. So all you have to remember is to grab the bag as you walk out the door.

This lessens the stress factor for me, since I also have to remember the 2 kids and their "stuff", hubby and his "stuff". I am thankful however that he is in charge of the packing. :D

BJ'sDad

Half the reason I have an RV is so my Sussex can go with me without the hassle of trying to find a motel that allows pets.

I keep all of the dog related items in small plastic bins I picked up from WalMart for a couple bucks each. When I'm getting ready to go, pull them out of his "doggie closet" and put them in the camper.

Those little plastic bins and small "milk crate" type bins make great places to put books, DVD/CD's etc besides the dogs goodies.

J

Jim_1899

Dakota our Choc Female Lab

Our lab knows that we are going on a trip before I bring the RV home. She does not know she is a dog and loves the Bighorn as much as we
do. She does great and with having the generator we can park and turn on the ac in the rv and go shopping and out to eat on occasions.

Its very easy to travel with her and it makes it even more enjoyable.

donabel

dog resort

Check out 4PawsKingdom in Rutherfordton, N.C.

It is a dog oriented campgrond with lots of fun for the dogs and people too. A nice german couple owns it.

Don

Admin: Added link

racermom

donabel said:
Check out 4PawsKingdom in Rutherfordton, N.C.

Great website. I especially like the way they come right out and say "that they are not a traditional family campground". This looks like a great place to visit. DH and I will have to add this to one of our places to visit when we plan out our "time alone" trips. ;) Thanks for sharing.

pvandy03

Three dogs

We always bring our three dogs along (two labs and an english pointer). Just picked up our new 3055rl and really enjoy all the room. The labs have made a home in the large bedroom closet floor. The basement storage is incredible. These are hunting dogs so in the fall I need to bring quite a bit of gear.