Air Bags-good or bad

Buckeye

I have purchased a set of Airlift air bags for my truck to tow my Elkridge. I have heard that they will affect my ride when not towing and have a lot of maintenance issues. What is your opinion? thanks for the help.

lduguay

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
I have the Firestone.....LOVE THEM!

Drop the pressure to about 5-10lb when not towing. Maintenance on Firestone??....none other than air.
Not sure about Airlift, but looks like the same concept.

jayandhisgals

Are your airbags adjustable? We have the Firestone airbags. No maintenance issues at all. We love them!! It made a huge improvement on how the truck handled while the Cyclone was being towed. We do have the on board remote air compressor (well worth the extra $$) so that when not hooked up we can adjust the airbags. If we drive the truck w/o the trailer and do not adjust the airbags you'll bounce right out of your seat. Way too stiff w/o a load. But with the on board air compressor it takes just a few seconds to adjust the airbags and the truck rides like a Cadillac! In my opinion I wouldn't tow a heavy 5er w/o airbag assist on my TV.

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
We have the Firestone's also and have had them on both tow vehicles over the past 10 years and have not had one issue with them at all. The ride with them is rougher when you are not loaded unless you drop the pressure down to around 5 to 10 pounds. If you will be doing a lot of short stays, with lots of hooking and unhooking they make an onboard air compressor that allows you to be able to fill and empty the bags from the cab of the truck, but that is about a $550.00 upgrade. Although I know nothing about the Airlift bags, I would assume that they are along the same concept as the Firestones, but am unable to comment as to how good they are or how long they will last.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
1st set of shock we had was the type you had to add air thru a valve in bumper. Won't do that again. Now have firestone with on board compresser. 2 thumbs up. Only way to go.

Buckeye

I have decided to return the Airlift airbags and go with the Timbren suspension kit- about the same price, no onboard compressor- Thanks for the replies

Gizzy

If you are interested I have a set of Timbrems that fit a 2006 2500HD Chevy. I replaced them with Firestone air bags.

Lynn1130

Love mine. Add air when you are ready to load up. Let the air out when you are not towing. I notice no difference in ride from before I put them on.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Buckeye, I put a set of Timbrens on my 07....they work well when pulling the Horn at 14K. If I tow a HEAVY TT....not so much.

Buckeye

Thanks again,but I already placed the order for the Timbrens. We just purchased a 2013 Elkridge so the weight should not be a problem

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
No compressor needed with Air bags, and they are adjustable. Air bags need at least 5 psi in them at all times, also never lift the truck by the frame unless you unbolt the bags (as they may tear).
I had a set of Timbrens and tossed them in the trash because they made the truck ride too rough. Timbrens are just a BumpStop so don't pay over $50 for them.

jnbhobe

I had Timbrens, never again, add a leaf to the helper springs that won't affect the ride or put on the air bags,I did that on the last 2 trucks.

lwmcguir

I have the Firestone.....LOVE THEM!

Drop the pressure to about 5-10lb when not towing. Maintenance on Firestone??....none other than air.
Not sure about Airlift, but looks like the same concept.
Have used both in the past with no problems whatsoever. Just match the air pressure to the load.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I have the Firestone Air Bags with the Air Lift remote controller/compressor. I think the compressor/controller was about $400 if you check around. We had the Air Lift bags and onboard compressor on the previous tow vehicle. We had no maintenance issues with either. Just drop the air down to 5 psi when not towing and you won't even know they are there. We love them both the Air Lift and Firestone bags are great products. But, I wouldn't go without the on board compressor.

jmgratz can i ask how you set them the first time to tow? ive seen a few different methods on here and im curious, we just bought a new fifth and got the airbags and hitch all thrown in the price, just would like to know the most effective way to set them for the initial run

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Hello Stuandkatley, welcome to the forum.
In general, you will want to infate your airbags so that when you are hitched up your truck is sitting level.
Of course you will also want to keep ride comfort in mind.
A good starting point might be around 40 psi. Pin weight will be a factor.

Peace
Dave

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
I run about 20-50lbs on my Firestone Ride Rite guages when I am towing, based on my pin weight and road conditions. Pressure measured WITH a load.

This is the third truck I've had them on. They work great and I would not be without them. Trace

Last edited: