Powermax TowMax tires

ncrzrbk

Just curious from you fellow owners of these tires. My 2013 Sundance 3400QB came equipped with PowerMax Towmax tires. Mine came with STR tires. From what I have been reading, most of the problems have occured with just ST tires. Is it safe to assume that maybe Heartland upgraded the Towmax to an STR tire instead of ST's. Not sure how much difference this makes between the tires but was talking to a friend that is in the tire business and he had heard of the problems with ST tires but nothing on the STR. Just wanted to get some input from others that have experienced problems with these tires and is it possible that the STR's may be a better made tire?

GOTTOYS

This is just my opinion..My understanding is that the difference between the two is the STR has added one synthetic belt to the construction if the tire. I don't see how one additional belt can change a tire from junk to greatness. They might be okay on a trailer as light as yours but if it was mine..I'd sell them for whatever you can get and put on a set of good old American made trouble free LT truck tires. Don

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
TowMax STR is the "name" of the tire. ST is a type of tire classification.

Here is our tire from 2 years ago. Luckily caught before a blowout. (Notice the STR)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359749863.081253.jpg

This tire was less than 2 yrs old, and was the spare tire. We had to put it on the trailer and had used it about 600 miles when I discovered the stretched tread on the inside sidewall.

I would consider getting something else. Worth it for the peace of mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lynn1130

And here is what one of mine looked like with 3K miles and the damage to the trailer. IMHO replace them as soon as you can. Do not trust them.

Attachments

• photoB.JPG
    photoB.JPG
    131.2 KB · Views: 402
  • photoF.JPG
    photoF.JPG
    125.6 KB · Views: 397
  • IMG_8372.jpg
    IMG_8372.jpg
    228.5 KB · Views: 421

dfk009

And here is what one of mine looked like with 3K miles and the damage to the trailer. IMHO replace them as soon as you can. Do not trust them.
May I ask what brand tire you replaced the junk tires with? The outer tread looks familiar, but can't place the brand. I'm going to have to do the same thing on the ElkRidge. Thanks, Don

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We replaced with Maxxis 8008. So far 18k+ miles, they look great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mlburst1

Replaced ours with Maxxis also after a TowMax highway blowout that caused lots of damage to the rig.

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
Has anyone had any success in keeping the TowMax tires, combined with a TPMS? I have just purchased the TST 507 with flow through sensors and am pricing out some Goodyear G614's, but the TowMax tires are brand new. Will the TPMS warn me against a blowout before it happens? I had several blowouts with a past trailer and do not want to have that happen again.

I considered doing what Duane (Porthole) and others have done and step up to the 17.5 wheels and the G114's instead of the G614's, that way I am not coming close to any load limits and can run lower pressure (110psi).

Last edited:

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
Answer to your question is NO. You have a heavy weight Bighorn...... get the G614's if your OEM wheels are stamped 110psi.

danemayer

Will the TPMS warn me against a blowout before it happens?

The TPMS will not warn you ahead of time for all blowout situations. For example, some people have had tires where the internal structure was either damaged or broke down due to manufacturing defects, leading to a sudden blowout with no warning from the TPMS because it doesn't monitor the internal structure of the tire.

The TPMS will warn you if temperature climbs to a level that might precede a blowout. It will also warn you of a sudden drop in pressure that might precede a blowout.

Sandpirate69

The TPMS will not warn you ahead of time for all blowout situations. For example, some people have had tires where the internal structure was either damaged or broke down due to manufacturing defects, leading to a sudden blowout with no warning from the TPMS because it doesn't monitor the internal structure of the tire.

The TPMS will warn you if temperature climbs to a level that might precede a blowout. It will also warn you of a sudden drop in pressure that might precede a blowout.

X2 on what Dan wrote. It happened to us. Tore up the left side before the tire dropped enough air to send off alarm.

ncrzrbk

Thanks everyone for the information. Guess I need to look into replacing them as soon as I can. It seems like the Maxxis gets the best overall rating for a trailer my size.

Baltbirds

My question is almost the same as the original question. Is the problem with these tires related to 5th wheels more than travel trailers? I have a 31RESS with these tires. My dry weight is 7400 and loaded can get up to 8400. This is my 1st large trailer and It seems that these tires are blowing out on the heavier trailers.

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
My question is almost the same as the original question. Is the problem with these tires related to 5th wheels more than travel trailers? I have a 31RESS with these tires. My dry weight is 7400 and loaded can get up to 8400. This is my 1st large trailer and It seems that these tires are blowing out on the heavier trailers.

Has this problem mainly been related to the 16" tires or has the 15" also had issues?

danemayer

Has this problem mainly been related to the 16" tires or has the 15" also had issues?

I don't think anyone has done any collection or tabulation of tire blowout data involving Towmax. Nor has there been any analysis of what percentage of owners with Towmax tires have had blowouts. You can read about several dozen incidents affecting Heartland owners here on this forum and you can probably find additional incidents on other forums, although many of those will overlap. Many of the affected owners repeatedly post about Towmax issues, making it even more difficult to figure out how widespread the problems are.

There's no hard data. Just anecdotal information. Since you are concerned, maybe you should get another tire. It's expensive, but a lot less expensive and aggravating than dealing with the damage from a blowout.

ncrzrbk

This has been my concern about these tires. I spoke with a representative of Heartland regarding the tire issue before purchasing this fifth wheel. I didn't want to invest the money and turn around and spend more for tires. His response was basically the heavier toy haulers were where most of the problems were coming from. He also mentioned that with equa-flex alignment system now on my Sundance I shouldn't have any problems. However, I understand that he is a sales guy and therefore it is my responsibility after purchasing the camper to be diligent in checking pressures and torque. I am going to invest in a TPMS and then keep the tires rotated and see how things go. We won't be making any long trips this year of more than 300 miles. Hopefully next year we will schedule a long trip out west. I think that is when I will become more concerned about these tires

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Lynn1130

Many go thousands of miles and have no problem. Others go a few miles and have major problems. One thing that I have noticed is there seems to be little to no warning when these tires fail. When the tread came off of the tire on my trailer the tire remained inflated until several minutes after I pulled off of the road. It then went down slowly. I cannot say for sure but doubt that TPMS would have done any good. I am very diligent about checking air pressure at the time I pull out of storage and then during trips. This was a short (200) mile trip on smooth Interstate on a 75 degree day. I was carrying no water, quads or extra camping gear. Basically at minimum weight. So, who knows when they will go or if they will.