Toilet issue

tljack

I have a 2013 Road Warrior 305 with a Thetford Aqua Magic Style Plus toilet.

A couple of days ago I dumped the black tank. We are in a park for a few day currently. Today I noticed the toilet produced a large bubble when first flushed. I can see down into the tank and it is basicly empty. Any ideas what is going on here. Sometimes it splashes water on the rim.

I read the thread that is closed about bubbling but I think this is entirely different.

Thanks ahead of time

Terry

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
If it's empty and still "burping," the vent pipe may be blocked by debris. If you can get on the roof and remove the vent cap, you might run some water down it to clear it. Either have the toilet ball in flush position or open the sewer valve to help relieve the pressure from putting the water down. Don't do it on a closed "system."

danemayer

Hi Terry,

When you say bubble, do you mean that when you pressed the flush valve, and the slider opened, that the water didn't immediately drop through the opening? Instead, the water going down the sides of the bowl raised the water level in the bowl. Then after a moment, things start draining.

If that's it, I wondering about the venting.

tljack

If it's empty and still "burping," the vent pipe may be blocked by debris. If you can get on the roof and remove the vent cap, you might run some water down it to clear it. Either have the toilet ball in flush position or open the sewer valve to help relieve the pressure from putting the water down. Don't do it on a closed "system."

That makes sense. I was thinking about running something down the piple when I get home but using water sounds like a better idea.
It would not surprise me if it is plugged. My waste water level gauge always shows full even if I use the flush. Apparently it takes nothing for some paper to hang up.

I will give your idea a try later today and will let you know what happens.

Thank you,

Terry

tljack

Thanks for commenting.

It does exactly what you are saying other than the level does not rise, it goes "blurp". If I open the knife valve slowly, it goes "bubble, bubble" and then fluches normally.
I am going to try JohnDars suggestion to run water down the roof vent later today.

I will let you know what results I get.

Thanks again

Terry

tljack

At the present time, things seem to have cleared up by itself. I am still going to run water down the vent in the morning.

Thanks for the suggestions

Terry

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Could be whatever was blocking the end of the vent lost its grip. Hopefully, the end of the pipe does not extend further into the tank than it should.

Be sure to use plenty of water when flushing to help liquefy the waste completely.

trdeal

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
We have this "burp" happen in our 2005 Mt. Rushmore from time to time. I have found that it happens because there has not been enough water run into the toliet when flushing toliet paper and the "stuff" that goes with it. The pipe for the toliet drain does not drop straight down into the tank,there is an elbow in line. If there is not enough water there to wash the "stuff" on down it gets stuck in the elbow.

Birchwood

I find the burping is caused from a stubborn build up of solids at the end of the flush pipe.The holding tanks are
quite shallow with maybe only a foot in depth.To correct this problem I run lots of water into the tank so the solids
will float away from the inlet.I have no elbow in my drain pipe,its almost straight down.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
We have had this happen and use a 'plumber's friend' (plunger) to clear it. So far it has worked, although have some paper towels handy to wipe up any splashes. Usually the burping is a sign the tank is nearing full. Also you cannot count on the level indicators as they are notoriously inaccurate.

donr827

I bet that a large percentage of black tank problems could be cured by using more water when flushing.
Don

jmgratz

I bet that a large percentage of black tank problems could be cured by using more water when flushing.
Don

Betcha u r right...most folks think of the rv toilet like their home one. They are two totally different types.

lmcclure

1st Tennessee Member#1084
We had the same problem tried the vent pipe flush and then the plumbers helper, that cleared up the problem there was a buildup at the elbow. Use lots of water and if it gets bad again hot water will loosen it up.

Paul & Nan

Good solution, do not flush paper at all. Keep a covered small can for paper. Don't care what sort of paper you use just don't flush it. nearly 30 years of this policy (and many more of my DAd) and we have not had black water tank issues. Also, as said before, enough water.

tljack

We are out in our RW now again. No problem with the toilet. Took everyone's advice about flushing it out, making really certain I am getting it flushed really good when dumping and using more after each flush. I really appreciate each of you for taking time to help me out with this. I will do what I can for others in the future. Terry

ParkIt

Not sure how what commodes are in what units but if there is something that needs help to get to the tank, hold down the pedal part way so water goes in before pushing to the full open position. It will give it a little extra force with water to the holding tank.
That was mostly for DH, have to get him used to little stuff like that.

jmgratz

On our toilet you can pick up on the foot pedal and it will fill the bowl while leaving the opening closed. Step on the pedal and it will drain the bowl.

ParkIt

On our toilet you can pick up on the foot pedal and it will fill the bowl while leaving the opening closed. Step on the pedal and it will drain the bowl.
On ours its a bit easier....you can still sit there and just push about a quarter on the pedal to get more water in and not open the valve at all.

I'm lazy and figured it out in a half sleep state one night or maybe it was all a dream ;)